Thursday, February 15, 2018

Speed Bumps Ahead

O
n my way home one evening from dinner I decided to take the scenic route.  You know how it is, don't you?  You just get bored of the same old drive home so you decide to take a street or a road you've not traveled in a while.  Usually, you drive more slowly and, if you're lucky, you notice things you haven't before and sometimes you notice something that will make you think.

This is exactly what happened on this particular evening.  I didn't see anything earth shattering, nothing that would cause you to slam on the breaks, stop the car, get out and take a picture.  No, what I saw was much more subdued and ordinary.  What I saw was a road sign.

This particular road sign was like all the others.  It was white, rectangular, and affixed to a telephone pole.  However, the message on the sign made me sit up and pay attention.  The sign read, "Speed Bumps Ahead" Now, like any other driver, I hate speed bumps.  They always get in the way and prevent me from doing what I really want to do, drive!  You expect speed bumps in the parking lots of malls and supermarkets.  They make sense there because people are backing out, parking, and getting into and out of cars.  There are also a lot of people walking around these areas and speed bumps help prevent accident or injury.

Nevertheless, these particular speed bumps were in the middle of a street.  No sooner had I crossed one and regained my speed than I was forced to slow down and cross another one.  This went on and on for what seemed like 100 miles.  In actuality, however, it was less than one.  That's the beauty of writing, you can exaggerate and get away with it!!!  That road sign, however, taught me a very valuable lesson. 

Because of the speed bumps, I was forced to slow down.  However, due to my reduced speed I was able to see that flowers had started to bloom and that trees were beginning to bud.  I saw a family outside spending time together and I noticed how green and pretty everything had become.  Normally, I would cruise down this street without taking notice of these things but with those speed bumps in my path, I had to slow down.

Life is a lot like this.  We are so accustomed to cruising along through life that sometimes we must be forced to slow down.  That's when God places speed bumps in our way.  These come in various guises and seem to appear at the most inconvenient time.  We tend to see them as problems, difficulties and obstacles to overcome.  God sees them as opportunities for growth.  Some of life's speed bumps come in the form of illnesses, financial challenges, fatigue, emotional difficulties, times of waiting, and moments of uncertainty.  During these times, we slow down even though we want to rush forward.  God is getting our attention, making us look at the road ahead, calling us to consider those little things he has for us that often go unnoticed. 

The Christian life does not mean smooth sailing.  Nowhere are we told that the road will be without challenges, hills, or speed bumps.  We will have difficulties and problems in life, but through Christ we will be able to overcome them.  In John 16:33, Jesus says“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

Once I grew accustomed to the speed bumps, I became relaxed and enjoyed my drive down this road.  I drove for a few minutes, crossed a speed bump, drove a few more minutes, crossed another speed bump, etc.  I arrived home, having enjoyed the beauty of the world around me.  I also arrived home with a new appreciation for life’s speed bumps.  Funny how God uses those little "bumps" in life to teach us the essential things we need to know.  I hope you have a few bumps in your path today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.