Friday, February 23, 2018

Full Privileges

"E
nter him as a new faculty member and give him privileges."  These were the words I heard from the head librarian at local university where I would be teaching in the fall on a part-time basis.  It was the first time anyone had used the term privileges with me in a professional manner.  The more I considered the implications of her words, the more I liked what I heard.  After all, doctors have privileges at certain hospitals, lawyers have privileges to practice in certain states, so why shouldn't instructors have privileges at the institutions where they work?  It made perfect sense to me and I left the library thinking to myself, "I've got privileges."

But, what exactly did that mean?  As I familiarized myself with the campus and visited the room where I would be teaching French 1 in the fall, I couldn't shake the words spoken only moments earlier by the librarian.  She had given me all the privileges due a faculty member to reserve and borrow materials and books from the library.  I could place readings there for my students and I had access to the databases and research information afforded by the university. 
In essence, my status as a faculty member gave me full access to all the university's resources.

However, the key to my privileges with the university was based, not on me personally, but on my status as a faculty member.  In my wallet I carried an identification card denoting me as a faculty member.  As long as the card was valid, I had privileges and could exercise them.  I could teach, turn in grades, make assignments, and give tests.  My status as faculty entitled me to all these privileges with the right to practice them on campus.

It is not a far jump to realize that the Christian life is also one of privileges.  It is a privilege to be called God's child.  It is a privilege to carry everything to him in prayer.  It is a privilege to have him carry my burdens for me, and it is a privilege to be able to talk with him anytime of the day no matter where I am.  In addition, the privilege of being one of God's children gives us full access to his resources.  In Philippians 4:19 the Apostle Paul writes, "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."   Only someone to whom full privileges are extended can ever hope to realize this great promise.  Only those who can call God father know the privilege of having all their needs met by the one who knows and loves them best.

My status as faculty allowed me to enjoy all the privileges the university had to offer.  When I accepted the terms of employment, I also accepted the privileges that go along with it.  The same is true for the Christian.  As soon as we accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, we step out of our need and into his provision. We no longer have wants, we have fulfillment. We move from having no identity to having full status before God!  We are born anew with the full rights and privileges of sons and daughters.  John, the Apostle, makes this point abundantly clear for us by stating, " But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God."

Today, as you continue your walk with God, consider how privileged you are.  Consider how much he loves you and how much he gave to make you his own.  Jesus came and gave his life so that we could be called the children of God.  What other privileges do we need?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.