Wednesday, February 28, 2018

References Available Upon Request

O
ne of the many joys of teaching for me occurs after final exams have been given, the chalk and the erasers have been put away, and the students have been promoted to higher levels of learning. A student, perhaps from previous semesters or years, will contact me and request a recommendation for a scholarship, a job, or graduate studies.  

It always pleases me to find out what these students are doing and the direction they have chosen for their lives.  Moreover, it gives me another reason to be of service to them, doing whatever I can to ensure they achieve the goals they have set for themselves.  However, no matter how often I receive a request for a recommendation, I find myself humbled as I try to put into words the attributes and characteristics demonstrated by my students. I am aware that someone I don't know will read my words and make a decision based upon how I represent each individual to them.

Recently, I was updating my resume, and, at the very end, I placed the phrase "References available upon requests."  During the years I have been constructing my resume, I have requested several people to provide recommendations for me whenever the need arises.  Graciously, they have agreed and whenever I need someone to represent me, they are very willing to do so.  I have no control over what they say or how they say it.  My job is to keep my character and my influence in such a way that their recommendation of me will be favorable.  Writing the recommendation is not my responsibility but providing the foundation on which the recommendation rests is.

I have often marveled at the number of recommendations God gives in the scriptures concerning those who serve him.  David was called "a man after God's own heart."  Abraham was known as "the friend of God."  Moses is described as the man to whom "God spoke face to face" and Noah was known as "a righteous man."  None of these individuals was perfect; but all of them had a heart devoted to following God and the character and integrity to live a life wholly dedicated to him.

The New Testament also relates a story about a man who received a wonderful recommendation from Jesus.  John the Baptist's story is recorded in the book of Matthew.  After his imprisonment, his followers were concerned about him.  Could they have been mistaken?  Was John a great prophet or was he a lunatic? After all, he lived in the desert, he wore garments made from camel's hair, and he ate locusts and wild honey.  He doesn't resemble someone who would be at the top of anyone's invitation list for dinner. But Jesus thought differently.  He saw John in another light, the light of character and dedication to God.  His words in Matthew 11:11 are worth considering: “I assure you, of all who have ever lived, none is greater than John the Baptist. Yet even the most insignificant person in the Kingdom of Heaven is greater than he is!"

What a glowing recommendation this is.  Jesus is not paying John an empty compliment, rather, he is stating categorical truths based upon John's life and witness.  If you consider all the "great" spiritual leaders who lived before John, Jesus says that John is greater than them all.  He is greater than Abraham, Moses, David, Daniel, Elijah, etc.  In other words, out of an applicant pool with all these people, John would get the job, hands down!!  Jesus did not base this on John's appearance, his status, his knowledge, his oratorical savvy, nor his brilliant preaching.  He based it on John's heart, his love for God, and his obedience to the call God placed on his life.

Today, take time to read Matthew 11:7-14 which is the full recommendation given by Jesus about John.  If Jesus were to give a recommendation of our lives today, what would he say?  Are we living in such a way that his ultimate recommendation for us will be "Well done, good and faithful servant?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.