Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The Message In Room 234

W
hile a seminary student I worked for the Housing Office of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary conducting inspections of dorm rooms, running errands, filing documents, answering the phone, confirming maintenance requests in apartments slated for new tenants in the coming months, and a whatever else needed to be done.  This was my kind of job because there was always something new and you were never quite sure what the next five minutes would bring to your day.

I had one of those surprise experiences as I inspected several dorm rooms that had been recently vacated.  My job was to verify all necessary items were in the room as well as to assess any damages incurred during the previous tenants’ occupancy.  I had a checklist indicating all areas that needed to be examined with guidelines for determining how much labor the room needed to ready it for the next student.

When I made it to room 234 I had no idea the surprise that awaited me just behind the door.  I placed the key in the lock, turned it, and entered the room.  Everything was in order!  There were two beds, one large double desk, two bookshelves, two chairs, a double dresser, a sink, a medicine cabinet, and three closets.  I scanned the carpet, looked at the walls, tested the mattresses, checked the light over the sink, and made sure there were no leaks.  I quickly wrote down the maintenance requests and turned to leave the room.  That’s when I received a surprise and a blessing all at the same time.

Tacked to the back of door was a hand-written note, a reminder left by the previous tenant of God’s faithfulness and His abiding love in the life of the believer.  The passage from Psalm 62 reminded me that God is indeed my strength and my refuge. Only in Him can I place my trust and only He provides shelter and comfort in times of storm.

Here is the text of the note I found in room 234.  I removed it as a keepsake and a reminder.  I believe you’ll understand why when you read and apply the truths found in this passage:  Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah (Psalm 62:5-8)

I placed the note in my pocket and continued my inspections.  I read that note several times during the following weeks and found that the truths of this passage provided comfort and strength in times of challenge and difficulty.  I will never know who lived in room 234 but I will forever be grateful for their obedience to God’s call and for their witness.


We never know what a day will bring forth and we never know how our lives will influence and impact others.  All we know is that we must use every resource available to us to share the gospel and God’s love with everyone around us.  Have you visited room 234 lately?  You never know what you’ll find just behind the door.  What are you waiting for?  Go on in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.