Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Make Sure They Touch

A
 few years ago I received a large package in the mail.  I was not at home when the package arrived so the carrier left it for me in the apartment complex’s office.  On Tuesday afternoon, I found a yellow notice slip hanging on my door, informing me the package had arrived and I could retrieve it from the office at my earliest convenience.  Since the office didn’t close until 6 p.m., I had time to drop my stuff in the apartment and make my way to the office and take delivery of my package.

Once back in my apartment I opened the large envelope.  The outside was simply marked, “Medical Equipment, Open Immediately.”  As instructed, I removed the outer wrapping and unzipped the blue case containing a small heart monitor. Because I have occasional irregular heartbeat episodes, my cardiologist likes to keep tabs on my EKG’s and sometimes she has me carry a recording device from time to time.  This is one of those times.

I am constantly amazed at how much smaller these devices come with each passing year.  The first one I used was the size of a large cassette recorder and required a shoulder strap to carry it.  This one is about the size of a credit card and easily fits into the pocket of my jacket or pants. 

The instructions for recording a baseline EKG were very clear.  I was to hold the device to my chest, making sure the four electrodes on the back of the device touched my skin.  They were to be placed against my chest and held firmly there until the recording tones indicated the instrument had successfully registered my heartbeat.  As instructed, I held the device against my chest, applying steady pressure until the recording was completed.  I then called the monitoring company and transmitted via the telephone.  The computer on the other end of the line captured the recording and showed a strong, regular heartbeat.  In order for a good recording of my heart, I had to make sure the electrodes were touching my chest completely, leaving no gaps that would disrupt the recording.

As I reflect on those instructions, the words of Proverbs 7:2-3 resound in my mind. “Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.” In this passage, Solomon reminds us of a great biblical truth that has everything to do with making sure God’s word touches our lives. 
God’s promise is that we will live if we keep His commandments and write them on our hearts.

The image of writing something on our hearts tells us that we are to do more than just hear the word of God; we are to apply it to our lives.  Hearing the words and never putting them into practice makes our lives and our witness for God ineffective.  God is more concerned that our hearts are right with Him.  The human heart is the seat of the character which determines the kind of people we are.  Unless we apply God’s word to our hearts and unless we make sure those words touch our inmost being, we will never live the life God wants or expects us to live.


The device I received in the mail only worked when placed in direct contact with my chest.  All of the electrodes had to make solid and consistent contact before a true reading of my heart could be taken.  How much more important is it to be certain that God’s word touches our hearts, making sure that they are  in keeping with His commands and precepts?  Wherever you are today in your walk with God, ask yourself this question:  Are you making sure the truths of His word are touching your heart today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.