Monday, January 30, 2017

Holding Hands

T
he parking lot of the local grocery store is somewhat of a hazard especially on Saturday afternoons.  Honestly, it looks more like a flock of vultures circling a fresh kill as car after car makes the rounds ready to strike on the fist available parking spot within 100 yards of the front door.

I voluntarily entered this fray, joining the merry-go-round of cars looking for that perfect place to park.  Twice I was deprived of prime parking space by drivers who were better positioned than I.  One of the spaces was premo, I mean right at the front door.  But I buried my frustration and opted for an available spot further down the way.  It required me to walk a short distance but I figured it would be good for me to get some exercise.

Inside wasn’t’ much better. In fact, it downright was worse. At least the parking lot has lines showing you where to park and just where your limits are.  Inside the store, it was total mayhem as dozens upon dozens of shoppers vied and jockeyed for positions in the aisles, clawing and grasping at whatever was on the shelves.  I spent the necessary time to find my items and then, after a long wait in line, I exited the store, packed my trunk, backed out of the parking space, fought those still-circling cars of prey, and headed home.

Right in front of the store was a crosswalk and several people were standing there waiting to cross from the battlefield of parking to the battlefield of shopping.  Driver’s courtesy maintains that the pedestrian has the right-of-way so I stopped to let a young mother and her three children cross over.  She had one child on her hip and held the right hand of another.  Before crossing to the other side, she told her young son to hold on to his sister’s hand so they could safely cross.

That’s when it hit me.  Right there in a busy parking lot God showed me a wonderful picture of His love for me.  I don’t know how many times my own mom and dad have told me to hold their hands until we safely crossed a busy street, or wondered through a congested mall, or walked the halls of a hospital, new school, or some other scary place!

If this is how parents protect their children, then how are we to understand God’s protection for us?  Does the Bible give us any indication of just how close and personal God’s protection is?  Does God really take the time to hold our hand in times of trouble, distress, fear, or confusion?  The answer is yes and we need look no further than that wonderful prophet Isaiah to find our answer.


In Isaiah 41:13 we find the following words of assurance, “For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, do not fear; I will help you.”  Now I ask you, with a promise like this should we ever worry about crossing the streets of life?  No matter how busy, no matter how dangerous, no matter how impossible the way may seem, God says He will hold our hand and that He will help us.  For this reason, we are not to fear, we are not to worry, we are not to fret, and we are never to lose hope.  Are you holding hands with your Heavenly Father today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.