Monday, April 6, 2015

Heather's Lessons

T
he ideas for these devotionals reflect different aspects and lessons I have learned in life.  Some of these lessons have been easy to learn and others I have learned only through difficult circumstances.  Various people have played such an important part in my life and some of them have been addressed either directly or indirectly in one or more of my writings.  I have often spoken of my parents or my brother, but rarely have I mentioned my sister, Heather.  This devotional is dedicated to her.
August 6, 1971 is one of the most important dates for our family.  On that day, my little sister, Heather graced our family with her arrival.  For nine long months I had waited, wondering what the baby would be.  So, one day before my eighth birthday, my patience was finally rewarded.  I had a little sister, and I thought it was very polite of her to wait until my birthday to make her grand entrance.  I mean, it's not every day that a guy can say he got a real live baby sister for his birthday.  It was big stuff!
Not long after Heather's birth, my parents told me that she was born with Down's Syndrome, a congenital condition causing mild, moderate, and sometimes severe mental retardation.  I understood what that meant, but to me, Heather was the most beautiful child I had ever seen and she still is!  Heather and I grew very close.  We played together, went for walks together, sang together, wrestled together, watched movies together, and laughed together.  When mom and dad went out, I looked after Heather and I became very protective of her.  I still am!!!!
As she grew older and developed, Heather constantly taught me great and valuable lessons that only now I am beginning to understand and appreciate.  The more I reflect on her life, the more I can see how Heather teaches my family so many lessons about God and His mercy and grace.
Whenever I am home, Heather and I spend a lot of time together.  She is always happy to see me.  She always hugs me and tells me she loves me. 
She sits on the couch and talks with me, or holds my hand, or watches movies with me.  Sometimes we take a ride in the car, and sometimes we just sit with each other, not talking, but just enjoying each other's company.
Each night before she goes to sleep, I ask her if I can say prayers with her.   She has one answer to this request, “Sure!”  What a privilege it is for me to pray with her and to have her in my life.   It is a wonderful blessing, far more than I could ever explain or express in words.
In so many ways, I believe Heather's life teaches me about my Heavenly Father.  He is always glad to see me.  He always opens His arms to welcome me or to give me a hug when I need it.  God always tells me and shows me He loves me.  He is always working in my life in ways that demonstrate His eternal love for me.  Whenever I want to sit and talk, He listens.  Whenever I need someone to take me by the hand, He does; and if I just want to sit and watch the sunset, He is always beside me.  His patience with me is endless and His care for me is boundless.  Whenever I need to talk to Him, He always has time to listen; and to every request for some individual time He answers, "Sure!"
God looks forward to spending time and sharing Himself with us.  It thrills His heart for us to just pull up a chair and spend time with Him. But I believe He has also made it possible for those around us to demonstrate His love in a very unique and tangible way.  For me, this is what Heather does every day; not because of what she can do but because of who she is.
T
he scriptures say in Hebrews 13:2, "Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!" Our family has been blessed to experience this scripture first-handI trust you will have a similar occasion today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.