Friday, April 3, 2015

Give Me Your Hand!

W
hen was the last time you were on your knees?  Now, I don't mean in prayer, or scrubbing the kitchen floors.  When was the last time you were on your knees, viewing the world as a small child would see it?  The perspective is very different, indeed!  Everything looks so big, so far away, and so impossible.  If you haven't done this in a while, I encourage you to do so, especially if you have small children.  It will give you a greater appreciation for them and for the way in which they view the world.
I remember seeing the world from this perspective and it was frustrating.  Everything I wanted to do or touch or play with seemed to be out of my reach.  In order to experience anything, I had to have assistance; and this assistance was provided by my parents. All I had to do was raise my arms and they would lift me up and carry me wherever I wanted or needed to go.  However, there was one thing I particularly enjoyed doing with my dad. 
My dad had this unique way of making me feel very special.  I would run to him and he would lift me up, using only the index finger of his right hand.  He would dangle me and jostle me and spin me in circles as I kept a death grip on that one finger.  I wasn't frightened, worried, or concerned about anything bad happening.  Instead, hanging on for dear life to his finger was one of the most exciting things I ever did.
As long as daddy held me, it was all right.  I knew he wouldn't let go and I wasn't about to.  There was a bond forged between us that we mention even to this day.  However, it is now quite impossible for my dad to lift me with one finger anymore, but his desire to do so is still evident as is mine.
Have you ever considered that God wants to treat us in just this fashion?  Nothing gives him
greater joy than to have his children latch on to him for dear life.  He wants us to hold onto him, to trust him completely, and to have fun in his presence.  God knows that from our perspective the world looks large, overwhelming, and impossible.  He knows that we can never reach the things we need to have and want to have without his assistance. Moreover, he stands ready to help us do just that if we will only ask him.
What parents could resist their child begging to be held?  When the little arms go up, the big arms wrap around in a hold that will not let go.  When found in such a situation, the child does not struggle against the parent, instead he snuggles, giggles, and is content just to be held.
 What better picture of God is there than this?  Who better to pick us up, cradle us in his arms, and carry us than our heavenly father? He will never let us go and nothing bad will ever happen to us while we are with him.  There may be times of difficulty, but his hand is always there, holding us tightly, even more tightly than we are holding on to him.
Now, when was the last time you approached God on your knees, not in prayer but as a child with outstretched arms?  When was the last time you asked him to pick you up with one finger and twirl you around to your heart's content?  When was the last time you sat in God's lap and just enjoyed his presence? 
H

e is ready to share that with you today.  As Isaiah41:10 says "Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand." Isn't it about time you grabbed God's hand and spent some quality lap time with your heavenly fatherWhy don't you do so today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.