Tuesday, August 17, 2021

The Sound of Mama's Voice

 

W

here was she?  It was early morning, before 6:00 a.m., and the house was pitch black.  Normally, the lights in the kitchen would have been on and mom would have been in front of the stove cooking breakfast.  The smell of bacon sizzling in the iron frying pan and the wonderful aroma of freshly brewed coffee would have wafted through the house leaving to wonder how anyone could remain asleep.   

 

But this morning, as I stated, was different—vastly different.  Although the kitchen wasn’t awash with light, and although there was neither sound of sizzling bacon nor the aroma of coffee, I knew mom wasn’t far away.  I could hear her voice as she sang.  Mom was always singing, especially when she was in the kitchen cooking.  So, you can imagine how puzzled I was to hear her voice yet be unable to see her. 

 

I went from room to room, gingerly placing my feet on the floor lest an unwanted creaking sound rousted someone from deep and peaceful sleep.  But there was nothing peaceful about my dilemma.  I couldn’t find her.  I looked in the kitchen, no mom. I looked in the living room, no mom.  I looked throughout the entire house, no mom.  And yet, at every step, in every room, and around every corner, I could hear her voice. 

 

I was at the point of a nervous breakdown!!! I could hear her, but I couldn’t see her.  So I decided to follow the sound of mama’s voice.  We had just begun using the kitchen in our basement.  Daddy had repaired the old refrigerator and, since it was summer and cooler in the basement, we began taking our meals down there.  When I realized where she was, I no longer panicked.  I immediately went downstairs, opened the basement door, entered the kitchen, and there she was.  By listening to and following her voice, I was able to find her and to be where she was. 

 

In John 10:27, Jesus makes the following statement, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  What a wonderful promise and comfort this is in a world fraught with all kinds of sounds and disquieting environments.  In order to be where Jesus is, we need to listen to and follow his voice.  We must be still, drown out all the other noises that crowd our lives because only his voice brings us peace, security, and the assurance that he cares for us. 

 

That morning, nothing would do but for me to find my mom.  All I had to do was to follow the sound of her voice.  It is no different with God.  He is always present, and he is always aware of our circumstances.  What we need to do is to listen for his voice and once we hear it, to follow it.  Have you heard his voice lately?  Why don’t you follow it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.