Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Worry-Free Rest


A
 few weeks ago, I was on a plane heading back to Fort Worth, TX. I had been home on a long overdue visit to see my family.  My trip coincided with both mine and my sister’s birthdays and it was great to have the whole family back together again.  Those occasions are fewer and farther between now but I take advantage of them every chance I get.

After a week it was time to pack up my bags and head back.  The time, as it invariably does on these visits home, passed all too quickly and dad and I were on the road to Charlotte, leaving in plenty of time for me to make my afternoon flight.

As usual, there were delays.  The plane was late, and after we boarded, the steward came over the loud speaker and informed us the plane had a mechanical problem that would need to be repaired, resulting in us getting off the plane, changing both terminals and gates, and waiting for a new plane to arrive.

Finally, we boarded and taxied down the runway for a smooth takeoff.  Just after getting airborne, the pilot informed us that we would encounter some turbulence during our flight due to weather between North Carolina and Texas.  So, I snuggled a bit deeper into my seat, pulled the seatbelt just a little tighter and settled in for a “bumpy” ride.

Not long afterwards, the pilot’s predictions proved true.  There was some turbulence that buffeted the plane a little.  I’ve experienced far worse.  It wasn’t long before I heard an interesting sound just behind my seat.  I heard it when the air was smooth and I heard it when we encountered turbulence, and I heard for the remainder of the flight.  I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what the noise was nor where it was coming from. 

Then it hit me, the woman sitting jut behind me was sound asleep.  What I heard was her breathing! She was not snoring but she was breathing evenly and deeply.  Her breathing never altered its rhythm, whether we were in the midst of bumpy turbulence or flying through silky smooth air.  She never knew the difference and only woke up when the pilot landed the plane.

I know of no better picture of Isaiah 26:3 than this. The prophet writes, You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” What a wonderful promise this is but there are two parts to this passage. God will indeed keep us and hold us in perfect peace if we keep our minds on him and trust him.  Life can be and is so very often turbulent. It seems that the moments of smooth air are few and far between. 

Indeed, entire day, weeks, months, and even years seemed to be filled with turbulence but through it all we can be at peace just like the woman on my flight home.  Smooth air or turbulence, flying high or flying low, take off or landing, her breathing was constant, deep, and worry free.  That is God’s promise to us today. We can have constant peace in all of life’s turbulent times. Are you experiencing worry-free rest today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.