Monday, August 12, 2019

How Low Can You Go?

I
t was a gorgeous Friday afternoon. I had just finished teaching my last class and was enjoying the drive back home.  The sun was shining, the sky was clear, the music was pleasant, and I was feeling great!!  Everything was going my way, no problems in sight!
All that changed in a split second!  One glance at my instrument panel sent a wave of fear over me.  Suddenly, the music didn't seem so cheerful, the weather didn't seem so pleasant, and the weekend seemed like an eternity away.  The needle on my fuel gauge was parked right on empty.  There was no distance between the needle and the E!  I was riding on fumes, hoping against hope the car wouldn't stop on the freeway!
I quickly calculated the distance to the nearest gas station and began praying.  I was praying and driving, driving and praying, doing my best to remain calm in the face of this desperate situation.  I normally keep a close watch on my fuel levels but this particular week, I hadn't kept as close a watch and I was paying for it.
Finally, I saw my exit, left the freeway, and pulled into the filling station.  The gas wasn't the most inexpensive, but I didn't have any choice. I was just glad to have the opportunity to fill my tank, regardless of price!  While I stood there, slowing my breathing, I reflected on what had just happened. If I had paid closer attention to my gauges, I would have had no worries and I could have paid less for gas.  As it was, I was scared, worried, and a few bucks over budget for gasoline that week.
My adventure at the gas pump has a direct parallel in the New Testament.  In Matthew 25, Jesus tells the parable of the ten virgins who were awaiting the arrival of the bridegroom so they could go in with him to the marriage feast.  Five of them brought extra oil for their lamps and five of them didn't.  When the bridegroom came, five of them were ready to go in but the other five were not.
Matthew 25:3 reveals Jesus’ assessment of those who were not ready, who didn't pay attention to their fuel levels. The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.”  These five did only half the job!  They took their lamps, they made provision for the short term, but they brought no oil in case the party started later.  That is exactly what happened.  The bridegroom delayed his coming and their oil ran out.
When the groom came, they were unprepared to meet him.  They asked their five friends to share oil with them but they refused lest there not be enough oil for them.  While the five foolish virgins went to buy oil, the bridegroom came and they missed the party!
The application for us is a good one.  How low can we go before we realize we are in trouble?  How often do we pay attention to the fuel gauges in our spiritual lives?  Are we keeping our tanks full, drawing our supply from God and his word?  Are we refueling our lives from his provision, running on the fuel he provides?  Or are we like the five foolish virgins, making provision for the short term but never thinking ahead?
When we fail to keep our tanks filled, when we let them run dry, then we run a great risk.  We will stop to fill them at the nearest station, taking on lower grade fuel at a higher price and we always pay for it.  God never intends for this to happen to us. He provides the best fuel in constant supply.  All we need do is fill our tanks each day and keep a watch on our gauges.  The world cannot supply the fuel we need; it can only come from God.
So, what does your fuel gauge read?  Do you have a full tank, half of a tank, or are you slap on empty?  Are you enjoying the ride or are you panicking today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.