Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Take That Hill

I
 took a Sunday afternoon drive through one of the many residential neighborhoods here in Fort Worth.  I passed by houses with sculpted flowerbeds, perfectly manicured lawns, and immaculately swept sidewalks.     As I crested one of the very few hills in Fort Worth, I came across a small boy who was laboriously pushing his bike up the hill.  I wondered why he just didn't hop on the bike and ride it.  Perhaps he was tired, perhaps he became bored, or perhaps the hill was too difficult.
Back in my hometown of CherryvilleNC, there is a hill very much like the one just described.  It is situated on Main Street just above the house where I grew up.  That hill was one of the greatest challenges I faced as a child, a source of constant frustration and defeat.  You see, I was born with a hole between the upper chambers of my heart that continued to enlarge as I grew older.  This defect made my heart work harder than normal and physical challenges, such as that hill, were very difficult for me to overcome. 
In order to go anywhere from our home, I had to climb that hill, I simply had no other choice.  So, every day, on my bike, I did battle with the hill; and every day it won.  The hill forced me to abandon my bike about half way up and, like the little boy I encountered, I had to push it to the top, get back on, and continue my journey.  How I longed for the time when I could take that hill without stopping, without getting off my bike, and without being winded or tired.
In 1975 I got that chance.  On June 12th  of that year, yes 43 years ago today, I had open-heart surgery to repair the hole that had given me such a fit for eleven years.  After surgery, my doctors restricted me from strenuous activity for three weeks.  However, after that time, I was free to go about my normal activities. 
For three long weeks, I contemplated getting on my bike and taking that hill.  I had to do it, to prove to myself the surgery had been worth it, and to prove to myself that my heart was new and strong.  I also wanted to ride up that hill because I was tired of being defeated.  Three weeks to the day, I jumped on my bike, worrying my poor mom to death, and I took that hill!!!!!!
The Apostle Paul knew what it was like to face difficulties and failures.  He knew what it was like to face overwhelming challenges and insurmountable obstacles.  He understood how tiring the road of life can become, how difficult its hills and valleys can be, and how one can easily be defeated.  Paul knew that mere human strength is no match for the curves life puts in our path.  In several of his letters, he speaks openly of the constant traps and snares he encountered while living the Christian life and working for the cause of Christ.
However, Paul also knew the utter joy that comes through faith in Jesus Christ.  He knew what it was to receive God's strength when his energy was depleted.  Paul could witness to the faithfulness of God's hand upon his life while facing every challenging hill and obstacle it placed in his way.  And Paul would tell you and me today that we are able to face life through the power of the Holy Spirit and the presence of Christ in our hearts.  Paul demonstrates this when he writes in Philippians 4:13"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
In July of 1975, I took that hill because my heart had been repaired. Before the surgery, my heart was weak, it made me tired, and it couldn't handle the strain of that hill.  However, after the surgery, it was new, it was strong, and it was capable of handling the stress placed upon it.  There was nothing I could do to repair my heart. It required the knowledge and the skill of a surgeon to repair it. 
If my surgeon, a mere man, was able to give me new strength to tackle a hill on a bike, just think how much more our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, can strengthen us to face any and every challenge today. Paul did not say I can do some things through Christ; he said I can do ALL things through Christ.  So, what are you waiting for? Get back on that bike, pedal your heart out, and take that hill!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.