Thursday, June 21, 2018

Briers in the Woods

D
avid Bame is my best friend and growing up, he was my next-door-neighbor.  As little boys, we would get into all kinds of mischief.  We would climb trees, play in the ditch behind our houses, ride bikes together, and play in the woods every chance we had.  Although we lived in the city, there was a large wooded lot next to David’s house.  Today, that lot has been cleared and isn’t very big.  But when we were boys, that lot was Sherwood Forest, dark, dense, filled with all kinds of ghosts, goblins, and briers!

We used to spend hours in the woods, playing, talking, planning, scheming, or just taking a walk.  The entrance to “the woods”, as we called them, was barred by a large brier bush.   I hate briers, and I remember more than one occasion where I refused to enter unless someone held that brier bush out of my way.  I didn’t want to be stuck and this fear immobilized me and kept me outside the entrance, waiting for someone to make the way safe.

This job usually fell to David.  He would go first, making sure the way was all right, moving any debris out of the way, and he would hold the brier bush back until I was safely inside.  While we were there, we would play and have a wonderful time.  When it was time to leave, however, I found that the same fear of those briers returned, keeping me locked inside the woods, unable to leave.  David again came to my rescue, holding back the brier bush until I was safely on the other side of the entrance.

This all seems so far away now.  The woods are gone, David lives in another place now, and my fear of briers has completely vanished.  Oh, I still hate being stuck; but my fear of briers no longer keeps me from walking in the woods. 

I have found that there are other types of briers in life, ones that stick and pull and block my path.  These briers are much more foreboding and much more painful than those found in that wooded lot so many years ago.  The briers of fear, uncertainty, unexpected loss, and every-day challenges continually fall across life’s path.  What I need is someone to walk ahead of me and hold back those brier bushes until I pass by.

Deuteronomy 1:29-31 assures me that there is someone who goes ahead of me and moves all the briers barring my way. “Then I said to you, 'Do not be shocked, nor fear them.   'The LORD your God who goes before you will Himself fight on your behalf, just as He did for you in Egypt before your eyes,  and in the wilderness where you saw how  the LORD your God carried you, just as a man carries his son, in all the way which you have walked until you came to this place.”

Can God make it any clearer to us than this?  Is there any doubt as to who loves us and cares for us?  Can there be any question after reading this promise as to who carries us, fights our battles, and holds our hand through the most difficult times in life?

God reminds the Children of Israel of their exodus from Egypt.  He points to the fact that he brought them out, that he continued to fight for them, that he carried them in his arms just as a father carries his son, and he continued to do this on a daily basis.  

That promise is ours today as well because God never changes.  This same God who made a way through the sea, this same God who fought all of Israel’s battles, this same God who appeared in the pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night, is the very same God who fights for you today.  It is his arm that carries you through times of difficulty and it is this same God who walks before you and holds back all the briers blocking your path today.

I never feared entering the woods because I knew David would always hold back the briers and I knew he wouldn’t let them harm me.  How much more will God do the same for us today?  Are you walking a thorny path today?  Does it seem that the way ahead is covered over with briers and vines?  Look ahead, just up the path, and you will see your Heavenly Father clearing your way and bidding you to walk safely ahead.  No fear!  No struggle!  No briers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.