Thursday, March 9, 2017

Want To Or Have To?

B
uying my first brand new car was quite an adventure, especially since I was purchasing out of necessity instead of want.  My brother, however, also decided to buy a car, but his motivation was one of desire.  But anyway you sliced it, we were both looking for cars, eyes wide, mouths gaping, and checkbooks at the ready.  Not a very good combination if I must say so myself.

One Saturday afternoon after a rainstorm, my parents, my brother, and I loaded up in mom and dad’s van and went in search of cars.  We arrived in a town about 20 minutes away that had row upon row of car dealerships.  It was an automotive smorgasbord and we were just salivating, waiting for our chance to sample all the delectable dishes. 

We first stopped and looked at some cars my brother was interested in.  Specifically, he was interested in a fire-engine-red-two-door-convertible sports car!  We took it out on the road for a test drive and it was a blast.  While we were out joyriding, the salesman asked my parents if both of us were looking for cars.  My mom said, “Yes.  One is looking because he wants to and the other is looking because he has to.”  The salesman confessed he didn’t know which was worse!

The test drive proved to be fatal!  Kevin fell in love with the car and decided to buy it.  As for me, we continued on to a few more dealerships before my checkbook was critically wounded.  But I was happy with the car I’d found and after a few days of wheeling and dealing, it was sitting in my driveway right along with the payment book!!

It shouldn’t surprise us that in the Christian life, we perform our acts of service from one of these two standpoints.  We serve God because we want to, or we do it because we feel we have to.  God, however, is very clear concerning the type of service He wants from those who call themselves His children.

In 2 Corinthians 9:7, Paul makes the following observation, “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. “ Most people believe that this verse concerns only money and I would have to say that for the most part, pastors use this verse in this manner.  However, I believe there may be broader implications than we are at first aware.

First, please notice that giving begins in the heart, not the head!  The heart is very important to God because it represents the motives and the reasons behind our actions.  God always looks at our intents to see why we do the things we do.  Thus, performing any task, no matter how noble or spiritual it may appear, if it is done from a spirit of obligation, reluctance, or under compulsion, God is not pleased with our service.  Which do you appreciate more, a gift someone gives you because they want to or a gift they give you because they feel as if they have to?  Hands down, we all would rather receive a gift given because someone wanted to serve us rather than a gift from obligation.


How are your serving God today?  Is your heart in the right place? Have you determined that the gift you will give to God will be given willingly and cheerfully?  It may be money, it may be time, it may be service, it may be visiting someone who is sick, or it may be showing love to someone who isn’t particularly lovable.  What ever your gift, remember that God wants and expects you to give it cheerfully.  Are you a want-to or a have-to-giver today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.