Friday, March 3, 2017

The Name Plaque


I
n my office sits a name plaque I purchased in the summer of 2000 while I was a chaplain for the Boy Scouts of America at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.  As I came to know the people working in the main office, I noticed that several of them had name plaques made by this man.  There were various designs and colors but all of them depicted scenes from the American Southwest.  All of them used earth tones and were made completely of sand.

Each time I visited one of the secretaries, I couldn’t help but noticing the name plaque on her desk.  I finally inquired as to how I could buy one for myself and one of the ladies was more than happy to share the information with me.  I contacted the gentleman, asked about the plaques, gave him my information, and then waited on him to complete my order.

After two weeks of waiting, he arrived on the ranch, bearing my name plaque in his hands.  It was very nice, much nicer than I had imagined.  Although I had written my name several times, I had never seen it displayed quite like this.  Now when I look at that name plaque, I remember all the people and the circumstances connected with it.  I remember feeling very proud and very excited at seeing my name displayed on such a lovely plaque.  I still get that feeling even now as I glace up from my keyboard and look at the plaque.

The book of Proverbs reveals the importance of a good name.  The writer gives us the following admonition in Proverbs 22:1 “A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.”  Notice the comparison he makes between a good name and the most precious metal known to man, gold.  We wear gold as a mark of good taste and prosperity.  We refer to gold as the standard for judging the wealth and worth of a person.  How much more true should this be of the name we wear, especially the name of Jesus Christ?

As Christians, we must understand that we do in fact wear the name of Jesus Christ wherever we go. The way we live our lives is a direct reflection on the name we claim.  If we speak one way and act another, we give people no reason to believe our claims about being Christian and every reason to reject the gospel of Jesus Christ. 


All of us have a name plaque on our lives today.  As Christians, our plaque should be inviting others to know more about our savior and lord.  They should be asking us where they can get a name plaque just like ours and we should be able to point them to Christ, who will give them a new name plaque, made by his hands.  Wherever you are today and whatever you are doing at this moment, stop and think about the way you represent Christ to the world.  Are you faithfully living according to the name written on the name plaque of your life?   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.