Friday, October 21, 2016

It's Time To Come In

G
rowing up in my neighborhood was never boring.  There were kids everywhere and we always had something to do.  Whether what we did was always the best use of our time is still open for debate!  Nevertheless, we found plenty of things to do and an endless number of reasons to do them.  Sometimes we would gather at a friend's house for a game of touch football, or we would ride skateboards up and down the sidewalks on our block.  Other times found us riding our bikes, and sometimes we'd just sit around and talk.  The neighborhood was safe and we never feared anyone would harm us, or ride by and kidnap us, and no one ever worried about drive-by shootings.  Things have certainly changed!

During the summer months, we would stay outside until the last possible moment.  Our mothers knew we were in the neighborhood, which meant we were within earshot of their voices.  As soon as dark began to fall, the nightly ritual of mothers calling us home began.  There was no confusion as to whose mother was calling.  We were all attuned to the sound of our own mothers' voices and would hear and respond only to that call.  Sometimes, one of my friends would take his leave, stating he had heard his mom's voice although the rest of us hadn't heard it.  When my turn came, I stopped what I was doing and headed home.  No matter in what part of the neighborhood I was playing, I knew my mom's voice and recognized it when she called me home.  I remember the distinct sound of our back-screen door as it opened and closed.  I can still hear her voice as she called saying, "It's time to come in!" 

What a wonderful memory this is.  Her voice carried with it all the wonderful feelings of home.  There was comfort in her voice.  There was reassurance, care, happiness, love, and security in mom's voice.  Hearing it always made me happy, and listening to her voice, taught me many things over the years that I still remember and that still guide me today.  Mom's voice spoke not only to my ears, but to my heart.  Just the sound of her voice filled me with such wonderful emotion that I couldn't wait to get home.

In John's gospel, Jesus uses a very touching truth to teach this lesson.  In chapter 10, verse 27, he says, "My sheep recognize my voice; I know them, and they follow me."  Jesus was exactly right about sheep.  The bond between a sheep and its shepherd is very strong.  In fact, the sheep grow to recognize the voice of their shepherd and will not respond to another.  On a hillside full of different flocks, a shepherd didn't worry about losing his sheep to another, because he knew they would respond only to his voice.  The shepherd's voice, like that of a mother's voice to her children, meant warmth, safety, love, care, and confidence for the sheep.  As long as they listened to his voice, there was no reason to fear, no reason to worry, no reason to feel threatened. It is also in this chapter that Jesus says of himself, “I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me." (John 10:14)


Isn't this a beautiful picture of Jesus?  His voice is the one we listen to.  His voice is the one that calls us to safety.  His voice reassures us.  His voice sustains us.  His voice gives us the hope we need.  Although the world is full of voices, none delights the heart like the voice of Jesus.  Only his voice is the voice of one who knows us.  Who better to lead us, who better to love us, who better to comfort us, who better to call us than the one who made us and the one who knows us?  Jesus is our great shepherd.  Do you hear him calling your name today?  Do you hear him saying, "It's time to come in, to spend time with me, to learn from me, to rest in me."  Won't you answer his call today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.