Friday, October 7, 2016

Fat-Free Living

 A
 few years ago, I decided it was time to take control of my life and lose some weight.  Like most of us, I was constantly fighting the battle of the "bulge", a battle I consistently lost every time I fought it.  Deciding to lose the weight was a simple decision compared with the daunting task of selecting which diet to follow. If you've kept up with recent trends in weight control, you know that everyone has found the one best way to lose weight.  Some diets let you eat all you want for three days then they prevent you from eating anything for the next four.  Other diets encourage you to eat one piece of fruit and then drink some sort of concoction filled with all the nutrients and vitamins you need for the day.  Still other programs claim that food isn't really necessary.  All you need do is take two or three pills each day and voilĂ , instant weight loss!

Instead of opting for one of these fad diets, I decided to count my fat grams.  I had seen the results other people had experienced by following this method, and I decided to give it a go.  The regular foods I was accustomed to eating, however, were simply loaded with fat.  After one meal, I had completely blown my fat intake for the day.  I soon realized that something had to be done.  Enter the fat-free section of the supermarket.  As I began shopping ever so carefully, I discovered that most of the foods I wanted actually existed in a fat-free form.  The only difference was the consistency and the taste.  Fat-free cheese just doesn't do much for me on a pizza!  I need the real stuff!  However, once I made the change, I grew accustomed to it and now it has become second nature to me.

Where, you may ask, am I going with this?  What could this possibly have to do with God?  Well I'll tell you. The book of Genesis records the story of Joseph.  You may be familiar with his coat of many colors but there is an interesting part of this story that fits into today's tidbit. Egypt was in the midst of a famine.  Joseph interpreted Pharaoh's dreams and devised a plan to ration Egypt's grain for seven years so there would be plenty during the seven years of famine to follow. 

When Pharaoh learned that Joseph's family was living in Canaan enduring the famine, he commanded Joseph to bring his family to Egypt.  His words are recorded in Genesis 45:17-20, "And Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Say to your brothers, ‘Do this: Load your animals and depart; go to the land of Canaan. 18‘Bring your father and your households and come to me; I will give you the best of the land of Egypt, and you will eat the fat of the land. 19‘Now you are commanded—do this: Take carts out of the land of Egypt for your little ones and your wives; bring your father and come. ‘Also do not be concerned about your goods, for the best of all the land of Egypt is yours.’

Notice Pharaoh's promise that Joseph's family would live off the fat of the land.  Fat represents the best, an overabundance.  Fat is what our bodies produce in excess of what we need to survive.  Later in the sacrificial system, God required that the fat of an animal be sacrificed to him as the best part of the animal.  So here, Pharaoh promises that Joseph and his family will live off the very best Egypt has to offer them.  They will want for nothing but will live out of the abundance Egypt has to give.


Far too many of us today are living spiritual lives that are fat-free.  Our spiritual food lacks any fat, any of the abundant blessings God means for us to have.  We are content to live with little when God means for us to experience so much more of him.  He bids us come to him and live out of his abundance.  It gives him great pleasure to provide for us, to care for us, and to meet our needs.  Even in the midst of great famine, Pharaoh promised Joseph his family would enjoy great abundance and want for nothing.  How much more will God provide for his children?  God always offers us his best.  He always meets our needs out of his abundance.  How is it we settle for less?  Why do we insist on a fat-free diet when the fat of the land is before us?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.