Thursday, September 22, 2016

Winding The Clock

S
aturday morning when I woke up I noticed something very different about my house.  Everything in my room was just where I left it when I went to bed last evening.  Nothing in the living room or the kitchen had been disturbed.  My cat, Trixie, was snoozing for a few more minutes before my activity roused her from a sound sleep and the door was tightly closed and locked as it had been when I checked before retiring for the night.

Although everything appeared normal, I knew something wasn’t quite right.  You know how it is, don’t you?  Despite outward appearances, something things aren’t the way they ought to be and the thing that bugs you is, you can’t figure out the missing piece to the puzzle.  As I ran through my checklist, it suddenly dawned on me what amiss in my house—it was too quiet! 

Now don’t get me wrong.  Since I live by myself, it is never noisy here and Trixie never makes that much noise except when she wants to get my attention.  There is, however, a sound that goes unnoticed except when it is absent.  That sound, is the ticking of the clock hanging on my living room wall just beside my television.  No matter where I am in the house, if I pause and listen, I can hear it ticking, just as it is right now.  Saturday morning, however, there was no such sound because during the night, the clock had stopped.  Time ceased to exist in my house at exactly 10:58 p.m.

Later Saturday morning, I finally had time to wind and set the clock and get things back to normal in my home.  I took the key from its hiding place, opened the clock’s casing, and began to wind both the pendulum and chime springs.  That clock has been apart of my life for the past 30 years and has faithfully marked the time through all of them.  My mom and dad gave me the clock as a Christmas present in 1985 and I have treasured it ever since and when it stops I want to get it running just as soon as I can.

While winding the clock, I had occasion to think back over the last 30 years and consider how I had spent all that time.  I came to the realization that some of my time had been well spent, some of it had been wasted, and for a lot of it, I had absolutely no idea how I had spent it.  30 years represents a bunch of pendulum swings, an incalculable number of tics and tocks, and thousands of seconds that can never be recaptured.  Once passed, they are forever gone, never to return.

Moses knew the importance of making the best of the time God has given us.  In Psalm 90:12 he writes these words, “Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”  Notice that Moses recognizes several truths in the brief passage from his prayer in Psalm 90.  First, our days can be numbered and are numbered.  We only have a certain number of them so each one must count.  As Christians, we recognize that God gives us our days and we are to use them for His glory, living each one of them in such a way as to share the good news of Jesus Christ with all those around us.

Second, our days have a purpose.  That purpose, Moses reminds us, is to gain a heart of wisdom.  The writer of the book of Proverbs reminds us that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.”  So gaining a heart of wisdom and living our lives accordingly means we learn to fear, that is to revere, honor, and worship, the Lord in all we say, do, or think. 

Third and last, Moses realizes our days can be wasted and our time here lost and unaccounted for.  That is why he asks the Lord to teach us how to number our days correctly.  That is, how to use them for God’s glory and for His intended purposes instead of our own.  This is a very difficult thing for us to learn because we want to believe our time is our own to spend as we will.  In reality, our time is borrowed from God and we will give an account to Him for the manner in which we have spent it.

As I wound the clock in my living room I wondered just how correctly I have spent all the seconds of my life.  Have I used them for God’s glory or my own?  Have I spent my time wisely, telling others about Jesus and the hope that he gives?  Or have I squandered my days, letting untold opportunities to share the love of God go by perhaps forever without another chance of sharing Jesus with another?  What does the clock of your life tell you today?  Are you counting the days of your life aright? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.