Tuesday, September 13, 2016

What's In The Freezer?


O
n Labor Day, I went one a cooking binge.  The day started off overcast, just the perfect weather for staying indoors and working in the kitchen.  A quick perusal of my pantry and cabinets indicated I would need a few items before I settled in to an all-day cooking bonanza.  So, I made a list, went to the grocery store, fought the incredible hoards storming the shelves, and finally jockeyed myself into a decent position at the check-out counter where I paid for my items and promptly left.

Once I was outside the store, I was able to breathe a little easier and I actually felt sorry for those oblivious shoppers who were about to enter the fray of battle.  I could have warned them as to the hazardous conditions awaiting them on the inside but then I figured I had to face the dragon, so they could as well. I arrived at my car, placed my groceries in the trunk, and headed for home.  I spent the rest of the afternoon cooking food for this coming week, placing it into containers destined for the refrigerator and the freezer.  When I finished, I had quite a stash of scrumptious items for the coming week and beyond.

My hard work paid off Friday afternoon. I arrived home early in the evening, walked over to the freezer, took out some chicken, and placed it in the microwave.  From the refrigerator, I removed some beans and some wild rice that I prepared on Monday.  In fewer than 15 minutes I had a complete meal, all because I had spent time making preparations for the week ahead.  Had someone dropped by unexpectedly for dinner or if I had decided to invite a guest over to eat, I would have been prepared, not having to stop and worry about what I would offer him/her to eat.  I would have been ready for any situation requiring the preparation of food.
           
Preparation is an idea that is key to our walk with the Lord.  Indeed, we are encouraged on more than one occasion to be prepared, ready to share the gospel at any moment, with any one, at any given place and time.  No where is this more evident than in Peter’s admonition to the reader’s of his first epistle or letter. In 1 Peter 3:15 the Apostle encourages us with these words, “But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” 

This passage is actually composed of two different commands that Peter wants his readers to follow and understand.  The first command is that we set our hearts on Jesus Christ.  We are to dedicate our hearts, our very lives, to Jesus Christ.  We do this by accepting him as savior and lord and looking to him as our only means of salvation.  When we set our hearts apart to his service, when we make him the focus of our lives, then we want to share him with those around us. 

This is where Peter’s second command comes into play.  Peter encourages his readers to be ready at a moments notice to share the good news of Jesus Christ with any and all who ask.  Peter knew that the gospel of Jesus Christ brings hope to the hopeless and brings a true sense of belonging and purpose to the life of the believer.  These attributes cannot be hidden and will attract people from every walk of life who will ask us about this hope we have.  But if we have not spent time with our lord, if we have not studied his word, if we have not experienced the depths of his love and mercy, then we will find it difficult to share with those around us.  Peter tells us we are always to be ready.  We do this by spending time in God’s presence on a consistent basis and feeding on His word.  We are to be about the business of storing up these glorious truths so we can take them out and share them regardless of the circumstance, the place, or the time of day.

I had a wonderful dinner last evening and I will be able to have many more because I took the time to put things in my freezer.  There is a supply that I can draw from for several days before I have to replenish my supply.  And therein lies the secret.  As long as I continue to prepare food ahead of time, I will always have something to eat and something to share with others.  The same is true about my ability to share God with those around me.  As long as I spend time with Him, learning from His word, feeding on His promises, storing up His truths in my heart, I will have a vast reservoir from which to draw.  From this reserve, I will be able to share my faith and my hope with those around me.  However, if I don’t spend time with God and study His word, there will be very little in my freezer and my ability to share with others will be greatly compromised.


So, what’s in your freezer today?  If someone unexpectedly dropped by for a spiritual meal, would you have anything to offer them?  Would they go away hungry or satisfied?   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.