Thursday, May 28, 2015

The View From The Top

M
y first visit to Paris wasn’t what I had expected.  For years I had studied the French language and had learned some of the history of Paris and the stories behind its most famous monuments.  I had learned to recognize the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre Museum, the Cathedral of Notre Dame, the Basilica of Sacré Coeur, the Arc de Triomphe, as well as other famous landmarks around the city.
However, when we arrived, Paris looked nothing like I had imagined.  Buildings blocked my view of the Eiffel Tower, the Seine River, and none of the monuments seemed to relate to the map I held in my hand.  In addition, the subway diagram only added to my confusion as I tried to figure out the best way to get from one part of the city to the other.  What I needed was another perspective on Paris, one that would provide me with a better understanding of the city and its layout.
While visiting the Cathedral of Notre Dame, I saw my opportunity.  The cathedral has two great bell towers.  From the top of the bell towers, I knew I could get a bird’s eye view of the city.  So, I started to climb, beginning the long, upward journey at the base of the left tower.  The spiral stair case was built along with the tower so workers could reach their stations and could also carry provisions with them.  I thought the stairs would never end but just as I was about to give up, I saw a shaft of sunlight coming through the door just ahead.
I stepped out, fully expecting the see the city.  Much to my disappointment, however, I had only climbed half the distance between the ground and the top of the cathedral.  I crossed over to the next tower, took a deep breath, and began climbing again.  After several minutes of going in circles, and almost at the point of physical exhaustion, I emerged at the top of the right bell tower. The entire city of Paris lay at my feet.  To my left was the Eiffel Tower, to my right was the Basilica of Sacré Coeur and the Seine River was flowing in the right direction.  The Left Bank was easily discernible from the Right Bank and the entire layout of the city made sense.  What a difference the view from the top made.  The long climb, the sore muscles, and the dizzying heights were all worth the view!
The Christian life is exactly like this.  We spend so much time studying God’s word, making sure we understand his commandments and requirements.  However, when we start walking in earnest with God, we find the road ahead to be vastly different from how we imagined it would be.   
Moses found this to be true as well.  For forty years he had led the people in a great circle, wandering in the desert, wondering where they were going.  He was sure he had understood God’s directive and directions, but the terrain around him didn’t remotely resemble a “land flowing with milk and honey.”  That’s when God took him to a higher plane to gain a different perspective.
Deuteronomy 32:49 gives God’s final directions to Moses: "Go up this mountain of the Abarim, Mount Nebo, which is in the land of Moab, across from Jericho; view the land of Canaan, which I give to the children of Israel as a possession;”  From Mount Nebo, Moses could see all of God’s provision in one glance.  From that perspective, Moses knew the journey had been worth it.  However, he was not allowed to cross over into the Promised Land because he had disobeyed God.  Nonetheless, God let him see all the land, to make sense of his life’s journey, and to understand God’s faithfulness better.
T
oday, you may be wondering just where your journey with God is going.  Circumstances around you may seem unfamiliar and the landscape may indeed look foreign.  Although you have studied God’s word and have faith in him, you long for just a glimpse of where you are going and where you’ve come from.     That view is always encouraging and inspiring but it will mean moving to higher ground.  Are you ready to tackle Mount Nebo today?  I hope so!  There’s nothing like the view from the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.