Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Bridge On Mulberry Street

T
he bridge on Mulberry Street was very popular with the folks in my hometown of Cherryville, North Carolina.  For starters, it was (and still is) the only bridge in town and the only way to get from one side of the city to the other when a train comes through.  Cherryville is split into two sections by railroad tracks and when a train is barreling through, you only have two options: sit at one of the crossings and wait or make a dash for the bridge on Mulberry Street.
As a kid, I loved to ride my bike across that bridge.  When a train was coming, it was neat to stop at the very top of the bridge and watch the approaching engine and the heavy cars behind it.  As the train went under the bridge, it would shake and vibrate, the heat from the engine’s smoke stack would hit you right in the face, and the conductor would blow the whistle.   Needless to say, it was a blast!
That bridge was an important part of my childhood.  The bridge was originally made of wood and had remained that way since it was built.  In recent years, the bridge was refurbished and made safer with concrete supports and guardrails.  Nevertheless, the bridge is still on Mulberry Street and it still provides safe passage from one side of town to the other when the trains come through.
In addition, to providing a convenient crossing, that bridge has also given me some wonderful opportunities to reflect.  I remember several summer evenings I would ride my bike to the bridge and look down the tracks as far as I could see in both directions.  In the distance I could see cars crossing the railroad tracks at several places and occasionally I could see a train coming way before I could hear the whistle or feel its vibrations.  I was never afraid of the oncoming train because I knew the bridge was strong and I knew it would keep me safe when the train arrived.
The bridge on Mulberry Street represents the times when God has provided a way for me to cross safely over many difficulties in my life.  Through the many changes, trials, heartaches, and challenges I encounter in life, I always find that God builds a bridge so I can safely cross over all the things life puts in my way.
The prophet Isaiah reminds his readers of the many times God provides safe passage for his people.  Isaiah 51:10 reads, Was it not you who dried up the sea, the waters of the great deep, who made a road in the depths of the sea so that the redeemed might cross over?” Although Isaiah is reminding us of the parting of the Red Sea, God makes a way for all of us on a daily basis.
This is especially true when we consider the way he made for us at Calvary. Like my hometown of Cherryville, there was a gulf separating us from God.  However, the gulf was so wide and deep that there was no way we could cross it on our own.  Without a bridge, we were eternally separated from our Heavenly Father with no hope of reunion. 
Then God sent Jesus to die for us, to build a bridge across that gulf and give us safe passage from where we were to where we needed to be.  That bridge is still there, still strong, still sturdy, and still able to provide safe passage to everyone who chooses to cross over to a new life with God.
T

he next time I’m home, you can bet I’ll cross that bridge at least once, if not more.  I’ll stop at the top, lean over the railing, and watch the approaching train.  And, as I have done so many times in my life, I’ll thank God that there is a bridge on Mulberry Street.  Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.