Monday, March 30, 2015

Before I Was, He Knew

S
aturday and Sunday mornings at our house were pretty typical.  We would sleep later, drink our coffee slower, and talk with each other longer, easing ourselves into the day ahead.  A visit to my parents’ home in North Carolina several years ago proved to be no exception to this rule.
During these visits, the conversation will invariably turn to events and stories from the past.   On one particular Sunday morning, we were standing in the kitchen, one of my very favorite haunts in any house, just talking about nothing in particular.  The conversation, however, took a turn toward the past. For a few moments, we took a stroll down memory lane, discussing the many ways God had provided for us as a family, and for me in particular.
I was born with several congenital abnormalities for which I have undergone numerous surgeries over the years.  One of these "little challenges" concerns my heart.  In June of 1975, I underwent open-heart surgery to repair a hole between my heart’s upper chambers.  The surgery was successful and I had no difficulties afterward.  I grew stronger and could run and play for longer periods without getting tired.
However, a few years after surgery, the doctors discovered another abnormality with my heart's electrical system that caused me to have sporadic, rapid, irregular heart rhythms.  Actually, they had suspected this problem all along due to my irregular electrocardiogram which did not change markedly after surgery.  They were able to determine the cause of the problem and were able to prescribe medications to keep it in check.
When I travel, I carry a copy of my medical record so that a physician will know what to do in case of an emergency.  In the record are letters between my pediatrician and my first cardiologist at Duke University Medical Center.  Those letters indicate their assurance that, at some point, an irregular rhythm episode would occur and they had discussed possible means of treatment. 
As I read those letters, I couldn't help but be amazed at the way God had put in place the people to help me.  These two doctors, from different parts of the country, met each other in medical school years before I was born.  Nevertheless, God was already working, putting them together so that when I came along, they could provide the medical care I needed and assemble one of the finest medical teams to address this issue. 
Before I was, He knew what I would need and made provision for it.  Before my mom and dad married, before any of this, God knew.  Some would chalk this up to coincidence or luck.  In my experience, there is no such thing.  God either cares for us or He doesn't, He either knows everything or He doesn't, He is either who He says He is or He isn't, we either believe Him or we don't.  I choose to believe God is exactly who He says He is and that He knows us and provides for us even when we don't yet exist.
David knew this to be true and penned the following words in Psalm 139:16, "Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.  And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them."  David knew and understood how awesome God is.  He understood how wonderfully he had been fashioned and he also knew that if God could create everything that exists, then He knew how to take care of it and maintain it. 
T

oday you may be struggling.  The circumstances you are in may seem so overwhelming and daunting.  You may be wondering where God is and if He even knows or cares about where you are.  Rest assured He does.  He has been making plans for you for years, even before you were born.  Nothing enters your life without His knowledge.  If sparrows do not escape His attention when they fall, nothing in the life of His children goes unnoticed either.  Today's challenges only speak of tomorrow's victories.  Everything you need for this day, God will provide because before you were, He knew!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.