Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Matter of Perspective

 Carp's Daily Tidbits
"Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits." Psalm 103:2

Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2015
Today's Title: Access Granted
Today's Scripture: Acts 18:1-4

Is the glass half-full or half empty?  That is the proverbial test of whether someone is optimistic or pessimistic in his outlook on life.  Seems simple, doesn't it, that we could make a judgment call based on how someone responds to this simple question.  Yet, there is a great lesson in this exercise for us today. The truth is that the glass contains a certain amount of water.  Our perception of that amount does not change the level of the water but it does affect the manner in which we approach the glass.

While reflecting on this, I began to realize my understanding of God’s working in my life is also based on perspective.  The truth is that God is always working, using every situation in life to mold and shape me into the image of His son, Jesus Christ.  My belief or disbelief does not change this fact but my understanding of this truth can lead me to be excited or troubled over the circumstances of life.  For example, what I perceive to be a roadblock may in fact be God’s protection, preventing me from barreling ahead into something for which I am not spiritually prepared.  Moreover, I may also miss opportunities to minister or serve because my perspective on God’s plan for my life may not be in tune with His point of view. 

For example, I am convinced that God has called me into bi-vocational ministry, holding a regular job and working in a church setting at the same time.  And therein can lay the confusion on my part.  Am I a French teacher who just happens to be a minister or am I a minister who just happens to be a French teacher?  It’s the half-full, half-empty question all over again isn't it?  Yet my perspective and understanding of God’s call on my life determines my attitude towards ministry but does not change the call itself.

This morning I found great encouragement and insight in a small passage from the book of Acts concerning the Apostle Paul and his call to share the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Acts18:1-4 reads, “After this, Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. There he met a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had ordered all the Jews to leave Rome. Paul went to see them, and because he was a tentmaker as they were, he stayed and worked with them. Every Sabbath he reasoned in the synagogue, trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.”

The real key to this passage is to be found in the description of Paul’s ministry.  He was called to share the gospel with Jews and Greeks and he shared the truth of Jesus in the synagogue on a regular basis. Yet Paul also made tents, like Priscilla and Aquila.  So the question to be resolved concerning Paul is was he a tentmaker who happened to be an apostle, or was he an apostle who happened to be a tentmaker?  I believe all of us would agree that the latter of these two scenarios provides an accurate description of Paul’s calling.
“And what about me?” you might ask.  What application am I to glean from this passage in Acts?  Much, I believe, that will determine how you approach your daily call to share the gospel at all times.

There was only one Apostle Paul and none of us has been called to the work to which he was called nor to the responsibilities he had.  However, God has called us to be His witnesses and to share the good news about Jesus as we go about our daily lives.  Jesus, himself, said we were to take this message to everyone we meet as we live from day to day.  But our perspective and understanding of this commandment will greatly affect the way we view God’s call on our lives. 


What is your perspective on the Christian life?  Are you a Christian in addition to what you do or is what you do in addition to your being a Christian?  It’s a matter of perspective, a perspective which will change everything about how you live for the Lord from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.