Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Do You Have My Card?

 

O

ne afternoon I was thumbing through a scrapbook I made during one of two summers I spent working as a chaplain at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.  The pictures and post cards brought back fond memories of people, places, events, and conversations that took place during those summers.  As with most past events, it seems it was only yesterday when I stood and looked over the mountains and valleys of Philmont.  Yet, somehow it also feels as if that were an eternity ago. 

As I continued flipping through the pictures, I came across a section I forgot about making.  Toward the back of the album are several pages of nothing but business cards.  Some of them have notes written on them wishing me luck or informing me of a place to stay should I ever be in the neighborhood.  What strikes me as most odd is that I remember the faces of the people and the circumstances surrounding my receipt of each card.  In addition, the information on the cards allows me to contact these individuals whenever I wish.  The cards contain phone numbers, fax numbers, cell phone numbers, email addresses, and some of them have home addresses as well.  In order to re-establish contact, all I have to do is read the cards and use the information they contain. 

Moses had this very experience with God.  I guess you might say that Moses received one of God's business cards first-hand.  Exodus 3 records the very familiar story of Moses and the burning bush.  While tending to his father-in-law's flock, Moses saw a bush on fire but the bush was not consumed.  Amazed, he went over to investigate and that's when he had what turned out to be a most interesting and unique conversation. 

When the introductions were over, God told Moses to return to Egypt in order to lead the children of Israel out of bondage.  Moses, wanting to make sure he heard correctly, began questioning God about this plan.  He wasn’t quite sure God had the chosen the right man for the job.  One of his excuses was that the people would want to know who sent Moses to free them. What could he show them as proof that he had spent time with God.  Who should he say had sent him? 

Exodus 3:14 records God's answer, "And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’  In essence, God said to Moses, "Here, have one of my cards.  This is who I am and this is how you can reach me."  What wonderful picture this is.  That conversation forever changed Moses.  He always remembered when it happened, where it happened, what was said, and who said it.  This experience became indelibly etched on his mind and heart and I am sure he revisited it many times. 

Somewhere in your home or perhaps in your car or office you have a copy of God's business card.  It's not in a Rolodex or in your wallet.  Instead, it is probably on a table, in a drawer, or on a bookshelf.  It tells you who God is, how to reach Him, and what His office hours are.  If you read it carefully, you'll find He can be reached day or night, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.  His office is always open, His telephone line is never busy, and you never have to leave a message.  His is always available. Won't you make an appointment with Him today?  Do you have His card? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.