Thursday, September 23, 2021

A Big Breakfast

 

O

ne of my colleagues at work pointed a very interesting trend he had noted in the Tidbits.  Many of them center on food and my attempts at becoming a culinary artist.  The more I thought about this, the more I realized he was right.  However, since I can only write about what I know and since I know a lot about eating, I’ve decided to stick with this theme for today’s Tidbit.  So, if you’re ready, let’s dig in!! 

 

I love the mornings, especially just before sunrise.  For me it is the sanest part of the day with little stress and no pressing deadlines to meet.  All that comes approximately two hours later but the beginning of the day is always a wonderful time.  After my morning routine of making the bed, dressing, making coffee, and making sure I haven’t forgotten anything, I throw open the pantry door, grab a breakfast pastry, pop it in my mouth, and leave the house, rushing head-long into the day. 

 

As I climb into the car, I am still working on that pastry, trying to scarf it down before I hit any major traffic snags or challenges.  One should never drive in Texas traffic on an empty stomach!!!  However, on mornings when I don’t have to meet class, I enjoy preparing a big breakfast.  This usually consists of eggs (always scrambled), bacon or sausage, toast, cooked rice, coffee, and juice.  I enjoy these mornings because I don’t have to open the pantry and pop a pastry in my mouth as I run for the door!!  I can sit back, enjoy the morning, and take in the full experience.  Somehow, the coffee tastes better, the food is more enjoyable, and I am more deeply satisfied on these mornings.   

 

It isn’t surprising that our walk with the Lord is much the same way.  No matter when we start our days, early or late, the amount of time we spend with God directly affects the way we greet the remaining portion of the day.  When we rush through our devotions, when we spend only a few minutes in prayer, we do the same thing I do on my busy mornings. We open God’s word, just like a pantry door, pop a quick verse into our minds, gnaw on it for a few seconds, and then digest it before we encounter the heavy traffic of the day. 

 

The problem is we soon forget what we stuffed into our minds in those few seconds.  I find myself constantly wondering what I ate for breakfast or even if I had anything at all. That gnawing feeling in my stomach indicates that, even if I had breakfast, it wasn’t enough to carry me through the morning.  Sound familiar?  So often we simply go through the motions of doing what a Christian “should do,” that we have no notion of what a Christian should be!!!!  Doing lasts only for a moment while being is an ongoing condition.  It is no wonder we find ourselves hungry for God during the day!  We never really fed on His word to begin with!!! 

 

John 6:11 is a wonderful reminder of how we are to feed on God’s word and enjoy the full experience of life with Him.  This scripture comes from the account of Jesus feeding the five thousand.  Please read the verse very carefully, paying attention to the last four words of the verse: Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks to God, and passed them out to the people. Afterward he did the same with the fish. And they all ate until they were full.  The people had been following Jesus and they were hungry.  When Jesus fed them, however, he didn’t open the pantry and offer them a meager pastry.  Instead, he set before them a full meal, inviting them to the table.  They could have eaten as little as they wanted; instead, they all ate until they were full. 

 

And how about you?  What was your spiritual breakfast like today?  Did you open your scriptures and scarf down the first thing you could find?  Do you even remember what your study was about this morning?  Did you have time; did you take time for breakfast?  If so, was it a big breakfast or just a small something to tide you over?  Is there a hunger in your soul today, a longing for more of God and His word?  If so, I invite you to go back to the table and eat!  Do not settle for a small pastry when God has prepared big breakfast for you. Come to the table, sit down, and eat until you are full.  I think you’ll find you are satisfied for the rest of the day but if you want more, it will be there, piping hot and plenty of it!!!!  Have a great day in the Lord today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.