Tuesday, May 11, 2021

On A Shoestring Budget

 

O
ne weekend found me at the computer poring over my budget.  In order to keep track of my money, I used a computer program that would divide my income into several categories and show me the balances in those categories based on my spending.  It was a fun program to with.  Just to make sure it was working correctly, I put in $100. Each category reflected the correct percentage and the total added up to $100.  Now, this may seem normal to you, but not being good at higher-order math, that means adding anything higher than 2 + 2, I was quite proud and encouraged to see that the budget program actually worked.

Next, I began to dream really big.  I gave my self quite a substantial raise and looked to see how much money I would have in each category if I won the national lottery.  It looked really good on paper, and it would have been fun to live on that budget; but alas, it wasn't to be.  Finally, reality set in and I entered my income for the month.  The numbers magically appeared in their respective categories, indicating exactly how much I could spend on certain items. 

Although budgets are liberating in one respect, there are very confining in another.  The most difficult thing about being on a budget is staying within it.  When the money for eating out is depleted, you have to deny yourself a trip to the ice cream parlor until next month.  It's not easy, but until money becomes no object, and that doesn't seem to be anytime in the foreseeable future, disciplining myself to remain within my budget will remain a way of life.

However, what if money were no object?  What if there were no limits on spending and we had no worries about affording anything we needed?  Needless to say, our outlook on life would be different!!  We would approach life with confidence, ready to face any challenge, secure in the knowledge that we had the necessary means at our disposal to face any difficulty life threw in our path.

For the Christian, not only is this a possibility, God in tends for it to be a reality.  Now, I don't mean God is waiting to open up the coffers of Heaven and miraculously fill our bank accounts!  I don't expect to wake up tomorrow morning and find several million dollars have suddenly and inexplicably appeared in my checking account.  No, what I mean is that God intends for us to live the Christian life with no worries and no fear about living in a state of spiritual need.

God does not live on a budget. Finite resources or funds that can be depleted do not limit Him.  Instead, His resources are infinite and there is no exhausting the vast storehouse of blessings He has for His children.  In Philippians 4:19 the Apostle Paul writes"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." This is a definite promise.  The Scriptures say God will supply all our need.  And what collateral does He have?  What is the source of this treasure?  It is by and through the sacrificial death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  All the riches and fullness of God are in Him.  There is no budget, there is no deficit, there is no limit on spending, and there is no end to the supply.  We have access to God's storehouse of blessings because of Jesus Christ and because He lives in us. 


Because of this great truth, we can approach life with confidence, security, and courage.  This is exactly what God intends for us to do.  He wants us to live life in the knowledge that whatever we need, He will supply.    No request is too small or large, and no need is too great or insignificant.  Instead of supply and demand, God's economy is supply and need.  We have the need; He has the supply.  So, the next time you look at your budget, just remember this: you serve a God with infinite resources who loves you, who gave His only son for you, and who stands ready to meet your needs according to His riches, not according to your limitations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.