Monday, December 2, 2019

Footed Pajamas

“B
lake, it’s bath time!” I can still hear my mother’s voice calling me to get ready for bed.  The first stage in this process was my nightly bath.  I would run to the bathroom, hop in the tub, get clean, dried, and then dressed.  I really didn’t mind taking a bath because it meant I got to put on my pajamas and watch some television before mom bundled me off to bed. 

After my bath, mom would help me put on my pajamas.  Now, I loved my pajamas, especially the ones that had feet in them.  I had two pair of these, a yellow one and a blue one.  The yellow one was my favorite because it had a duck embroidered just below the left shoulder which reminded me of Superman’s “S” emblazoned on his chest.  Once in my PJ’s, I was ready to romp around the house and save the world before going to sleep.  The pajamas gave me an incredible sense of adventure and invincibility.  Since my feet were protected, I could slide across the kitchen floor effortlessly and, like Superman, I could leap up on our couch in a single bound.

While I was wearing my footed pajamas, I was fearless.  Nothing could harm me and I could overcome any obstacle no matter how dangerous.  Even the creatures hiding under my bed and lurking in my closet wouldn’t dare threaten me as long as I was wearing my footed pajamas.  They gave me the courage and the desire to face any situation without as much as a twinge of fear or uneasiness.  My pajamas enveloped me, protected me, and gave me a wonderful sense of comfort and security.

Did you know Paul was speaking about this sense of security and adventure in his letter to the Philippians?  Did you realize that our relationship with Christ is supposed to be one of confidence and assurance?  If not, you’ve missed out on one of the most profound promises of the Christian life.  Let’s take a look at what the Apostle Paul was trying to communicate to his readers.

Philippians 4:13 records the following simple statementI can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Do you feel the sense of adventure here?  Can you understand that Paul does not mean for Christians to approach life out of fear and weakness?  

Two things about this statement should grab our attention.  1) Everything is possible when we let Christ live in us.  Notice that Paul does not say he can do all things on his own.  No!  Instead, he makes it very clear that his relationship with Jesus Christ allows him to do all things.  In fact, it is only through Christ that we can do anything.  2) Paul draws his strength from Christ.  Paul realized that in his own strength he was a weakling.  We do not have the strength required to live life and face its challenges; they are too much for us.  However, when we do things through Jesus, when we allow him to be our strength, then God supplies us with all we need to face life’s challenges.

Like mom, I often hear Jesus calling me to spend some time with him.  He washes away the dirt and grime from life’s battles and then he clothes me in his own love and protection.  As long as I remain in him, I can do all things.  As long as I am in constant contact with him, as long as his love and grace enfold me, as long as his mercy and strength protect me, I am victorious.  This does not mean trials won’t come or that life will always be easy; but it does mean that no matter what the circumstances, Christ will enable me to withstand life’s most difficult moments.  So, when was the last time you put on your footed pajamas?  What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.