Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Watch Your Speed

 H
ave you ever noticed how God uses the very ordinary things in life to teach us extraordinary things about himself?  Every once in awhile, he speaks to us through circumstances and experiences that seem to have no religious context whatsoever.  Yet, it is these expressions of God's truth that we remember most and from which we learn the best and most memorable lessons about the God we serve.

Such was the case with me one Sunday morning on my way to church.  I was taking a leisurely drive down one of my favorite roads.  It passed through the countryside, through a few small communities and nice subdivisions before eventually joined the road that led to my church.  There is nothing particularly enticing about driving this road; there are no adventurous curves or little dips that take your stomach when you drive over them.   No, the only thing remotely interesting on this road is the very short notice you receive that the speed limit has changed.  This was my problem!

As I entered the curve, I saw him.  As soon as I realized who he was I shot a quick glance down at my speedometer and sure enough, it indicated I was exceeding the speed limit.  I quickly tapped my brakes but the policeman confirmed what I already knew.  As soon as I passed him, he made a U-turn in the road and followed me.  Knowing I was guilty, I pulled over to the side of the road and removed my license and registration in preparation for showing them to the officer.  When he got to my car, I handed him the papers.  He looked at them and asked me where I was going in such a hurry.  I told him that I was on my way to church, not more than a few miles ahead.  He continued looking at my papers and my car's registration.  He then handed the papers back to me and reminded me to watch my speed.  Then, he let me go.

This is what God's grace is like.  Although I broke the law, the police officer decided not to enforce the penalty I deserved.  This is the definition of grace.  Grace is receiving that which we don't deserve.  On that morning, I didn't deserve to go free, I deserved to receive a ticket and pay a fine.  However, for whatever reason, the policeman did not levy anything to my account.  It had nothing to do with me.  I pay taxes, I keep my bills current, I am not involved in any illegal activity.  Yet, on this one occasion, I broke the law and was guilty. 

If I had possessed no knowledge of the laws governing driving, circumstances would have been different.  But I did know the law and that knowledge is what caused me to hit my brakes when I saw the police car.  This is what the Apostle Paul meant when he wrote, in Romans 3:20b,” for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”  In other words, my understanding of the law made me guilty of speeding because I knew better.  In life, I also know what God's law demands and that knowledge makes me accountable when I break his law.  Yet, God shows me grace by not giving me what I deserve.  As a sinner I deserved death, but God, through his grace, gave me eternal life. 

The officer was well within his rights to give me a ticket that Sunday morning, but his decision not to taught me a far greater lesson than if he had written me one.  God's grace teaches us a wonderful lesson about his love as well.  Instead of giving us what we deserve as sinners, God forgives us, restores us, and pours out his love and blessings on us.  He does this, not because of who we are or because of what we do, but simply because he chooses to. What a wonderful God we serve!  Are you watching your speed today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.