Thursday, September 5, 2019

Comfort Zone

I
n August of 1997, I was preparing to leave home and come to Fort Worth to attend seminary, one of the nicest things happened to me.  I had the privilege of working at a local community college in North Carolina for one year before leaving home.  As the time for my departure approached, several of my colleagues decided to give me a going away party!  I have fond memories of that day and the people who were there.  Of the many gifts I received, all of which serve as wonderful reminders of the people who gave them, one has taught me many lessons about God's love.

Several people pooled their resources and presented me with complete bedding set for my room.  It had sheets, a pillow sham, a pillow case, and a comforter which all matched!  You know how we guys are, as long as it fits the bed, we'll buy it.  But I have a very nice set of linens that goes so well together!!  The comforter was my favorite part of the set because it reminded me so much of God's love.

On cold evenings, I nestled under the comforter and felt its warmth.  When it was rainy and cold out, I took the comforter off the bed and wrapped up in it as I sat in my favorite chair.  It also proved a good listener, when there was no one to talk to, and it was a wonderful companion when I needed to be held and hugged.  It met so many needs at so many different times of my life.

God is just like this.  He is always near, always ready, and He always matches our situations.  He can hold us, shelter us from the cold, listen to us, wrap himself around us, or just hug us.  In 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Paul writes "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."  

I am so glad that God is a comfort to me.  So many times, when I have needed to be held, loved, and comforted, he has been my stay.  And he will be yours as well.  So if you are feeling just a little out of sorts remember that God stands ready to comfort you.  His arms are open, and he is waiting to welcome you into his comfort zone today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.