Monday, February 25, 2019

False Advertisement?

L
ike most people these days, I have a collection of musical CD’s.  My tastes in music are varied, ranging from classical to James Taylor to easy listening piano selections by Jim Brickman. I love listening to my collection and find it very entertaining and relaxing to peruse my CD’s and select a series of albums to listen to while I work around the house, study, or write.

Selecting a CD is easy. I simply thumb through the different discs, looking at the pictures in the front of the case as I make my decision.  I know what songs are on each CD and depending on my mood; I either select a CD or go right past it.  This system usually works flawlessly but, as I found out a few days ago, the CD cases can’t always be trusted.

I was in the mood for a particular kind of music, something upbeat and snappy that would spurn me on as I cleaned.  After thumbing through two rows of CD’s, I finally came upon one that exactly fit the moment.  I opened the case, inserted the CD into the player, hit the play button, and got ready for some “cleaning-the-house-like-you-love-it” music!  I had the cleaning supplies all laid out and I was ready for that first note to provide the necessary mood for the task ahead. 

The very first note I heard, however, was not what I expected.  The music was more like a funeral dirge than a “grab-that-vacuum cleaner-and-go-like-mad” kind of song.  I just stood there dumbfounded, not believing what I was hearing.  I stopped the CD player, ejected the disk and compared it to the tile found on the case.  The CD was something completely different than the advertised artist.  I located its case and, sure enough, the CD I was searching for was inside.  I had switched them at some point and didn’t realize it until I placed the CD into the player.  The player read the information on the CD and reveled what was written on it even though it contradicted the cover.

There is a story in the New Testament that goes right along with my experience today.  It involves a conversation between Paul and Peter during Peter’s visit to Antioch. Let’s take a look at Paul’s comments about Peter and this occasion where what was advertised on the cover didn’t match up with what was on the inside.

Galatians 2:14 gives us a brief overview of this conversation:  “When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?” At first, it’s difficult to understand what Paul’s meaning is here.  A little background would help, wouldn’t it?

The believers in the Galatian churches were under intense pressure to conform to the law and customs of the Jews.  Since the first converts were Jewish, some of them insisted that the Law of Moses had to be followed in addition to faith in Christ.  Paul was very much against this notion and said so throughout his writings. 

Paul’s difficulty with Peter stemmed from the fact that Peter was being inconsistent.  While in Antioch, he ate with the Gentiles and acted as they did. But as soon as a delegation arrived from Jerusalem, Peter changed his tune.  He distanced himself from the Gentiles and reverted to Jewish customs and ritual.  Paul would have none of this so he confronted him.

Peter’s actions did not line up with the truth of the Gospel.  What he portrayed on the outside was not compatible with the truth that lived inside him.  When Paul saw it, he was dumbfounded and immediately wanted to compare Peter’s life with what Paul knew to be the truth.  Peter’s life did not give forth the witness that Paul was expecting. Essentially, Peter was practicing false advertisement; and he was doing so willingly.

This should lead us to examine our own lives today.  When we are placed into many of life’s situations, does the music we produce line up with what we claim to know about Jesus Christ.  Does the cover advertising our claim to be Christians measure up when we are put to the test?  Are we giving those around us cause to enjoy and consider the gospel of Jesus Christ or do they stand dumbfounded, mouths agape because what they see and hear from us doesn’t match what we claim to be?  Does the music of our lives match the cover art we show to the world? Are we practicing false advertisement today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.