Monday, December 10, 2018

Wearing Daddy's Coat

T
he temperature this morning was a chilly 37 degrees!  Finally, it’s beginning to feel like winter, even here in Texas!  So, after my morning routine, it was time to head out the door. So, I went to the hall closet to get my coat.  In the back of the closet hangs the wool overcoat that my dad used to wear when both he and I were younger. He gave it to me and it is one of my most valued possessions.

I remember daddy wearing that coat in the winter time when he had to be outside working.  I can see him still walking up the sidewalk to work wearing this very overcoat to keep him warm against the frigid air and drafty winds.

As I slipped the coat on and fastened the buttons, a sense of warmth and security flooded over me. The weight of the coat reminded me of daddy’ arms that he would wrap around me, making sure I felt safe and secure.  The coat fell below my knees, covering me completely, just like daddy’s love. 

As I stepped outside, the wind was blowing.  My face felt the cool breeze but the rest of me was snug and warm inside daddy’s coat. What a great reminder that although we are over one thousand miles apart, daddy is just as close to me as that coat.  Everywhere I went today, I carried daddy with me!

The writer of Psalm 91 knew exactly what it was like to wear daddy’s coat. In fact, in verse 4 of this Psalm he speaks about God covering us with his wings.  Psalm 94:1 reads, “He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.”

What a wonderful display of confidence and faith in God. It is God who covers us, who protects us, and who provides shelter against all life throws in our path.  In him we find our refuge, in him we find our rest, his faithfulness is never ending, and he is our sure and strong defense.


So, how long has it been since you’ve visited your spiritual coat closet?  How long has it been since you surrounded your self with God’s love, mercy, and grace?  It is cold outside in the world.  Won’t you bundle up with God?  Are you wearing your father’s coat today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.