Thursday, April 12, 2018

Leg Cramps

T
here is nothing fun about waking up at 4:30 a.m. Early one morning, I was wrested from a peaceful sleep, not by an alarm clock, not by a bad dream, nor by an unexpected knock at the door.  Nope!  This particular morning, I woke up with a terrible pain in my lower left leg—cramps!

It doesn’t happen often but when cramps hit, they hit me extra hard!  I was just lying there, not bothering a soul, and suddenly all the muscles in my lower leg decided to head north!  It was a rude awakening.

At first, I thought the cramps would subside if I did nothing but this strategy proved to be a complete failure.  The cramps continued and increased in intensity.  What I needed to do was to stretch my legs but that would involve more pain as I forced my leg muscles to do a U turn in order to head in the opposite direction.

So, I gritted my teeth, counted to three, and began stretching my legs.  Yep, it hurt, but after a few minutes of stretching, the cramps subsided and my muscles returned to their normal positions.  By this time, the alarm clock had sounded and it was time to get out of bed. 

James, the brother of our Lord, knew a little about leg cramps.  In fact, Timothy understood that life just sometimes throws all sorts of things our way that are unpleasant.  But he understood that everything—including leg cramps—has a purpose.

In James 1:2-4 he writes, “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.  But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”

Three things stand out in this brief passage from the Scriptures.  First of all, life is full of trials.  Isn’t this a comforting thought?  All of us know the little opportunities we have every day to experience this opening statement.  No matter what day it is, no matter where we are, and no matter the time of day, something always seems to crop up to test us.  But James says we are to embrace these little opportunities with open arms and welcome them for they have a purpose.

The second notion is that trials come to test our faith.  Can you feel the muscles cramping?  I don’t know about you, but when God tests my faith, there is always pain involved on my part.  Trials come when we least expect it, when everything is going well and we are in control of everything.  That’s when our spiritual muscles cramp and we must work them, even though working them is difficult.

The last point gives God’s reason for trying us.  He wants us to be complete, perfect (meaning whole), and lacking in nothing.  The only way we can achieve this is to put our faith to work and the only way we can exercise that faith is to be placed in uncomfortable situations where it must be stretched.

Are you experiencing cramps this morning?  Are your spiritual legs being tested?  If so, exercise them.  It is the only way to get moving down the road God has laid out for you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.