Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Safely Sleep

O
ur home on Main Street was a wonderful place to grow up.  We had great neighbors all around, there were plenty of other kids to play with and it seemed we never lacked for anything to do.  Mom would step out onto our back porch more than once to call us in, especially during the summer months when school was out.  Finally, as the last remnants of sunset gave way to the dark pall of night, we would head home for baths, and bed.

Each night before closing the house for the night, mom or dad would follow the same routine.  All the lights in the house were turned off, the thermostats were checked to make sure we were cool or toasty, mom and dad would stop by our rooms to kiss us good night, and the doors, both front and back, were firmly shut and the security latches fastened.

Peace then reigned in our home and we all settle down for a good night’s sleep. I never felt afraid, nervous, or worried about anything happening to our family.  Mom and dad were there, they had secured the house, and all was well with the world.

Today it is quite different. I go through the same routine each night as my parents did but the last thing I do is to make sure the security system is armed and all the outside lights are on.  Then, I hop into bed and Trixie, my cat, settles into one of her many favorite spots, and we go to sleep.

Isn’t it funny how we place so much confidence in locks and security systems?  David, the shepherd boy who became king, had no such options. Instead, as a shepherd, he looked to God for his safety and security.  He records this for us in Psalm 4:8 “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.”

There are three great truths tucked neatly away in David’s words.  First, notice his confidence in the Lord.  Despite weather, despite intruders who would harm the sheep or try to steal them, despite the lion and the bear that could easily strike the flock, David says confidently that he will lie down and sleep.

Then notice how David plans to sleep.  He will lie down in peace and sleep in safety.  No cares, no worries, no things going bump in the middle of the night, just deep, peaceful, and restful sleep. David knows full well that God is on watch, that God will protect him and let no harm come to him.

Lastly, let us take notice of why David will sleep in peace.  David categorically states that he can and will sleep in peace and safety because the Lord, and he alone, will make this happen. In fact, David uses the word, dwell, to demonstrate his faith and confidence in God’s provision. To dwell means to remain constantly in that state. In essence David is saying I will lie down and sleep in peace and safety because Lord you, and no one else, constantly stand watch over me, be it day or night.

Tonight, I will make the rounds just as I am sure my mom and dad will make the rounds at their home.  Before I turn out the lights and settle in, I will remind myself that despite the locks, despite the outside lights, and despite the security system, I will sleep in peace and security because God alone will stand watch over me, just as he has every night of my life!  Do you know this security today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.