Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Worth The Price of Admission

A
 trip to the Holy Land is something a lot of people dream of.  What a wonderful opportunity to visit the places where Jesus walked and to see first-hand the locations of all those wonderful Bible stories we learn as children.  It is an opportunity rarely afforded most eight-year-olds and one that I turned down when I was that age. 
Our church sponsored a trip to Israel and my mother and grandmother decided they were going.  My parents both agreed that I could go and initially I was very excited about traveling.  There was enough fuel to fire my imagination for several weeks.  I dreamed of seeing Jerusalem, of visiting the Garden ofGethsemane, of seeing the walls of Jericho, and of taking a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee
All these things got me very excited and I was very eager to take the journey.  However, there was one thing that kept me from going, shots!  Yes, when I learned I had to take a series of shots, the beauty and the romance of the trip rapidly faded.  All I could see was those needles and I decided the price of admission was just too high.
My mother allowed me to make up my own mind. She did not influence me one way or the other.  As the time approached for her to leave, I began regretting my decision.  I really wanted to go but the window of opportunity closed and the time for her to leave came.  All during her absence I imagined the places she was seeing, wishing I were with her, but the idea of taking those shots was just too frightening.  It was a price I was not willing to pay!
When mom returned home, her pictures and stories made me wish even more that I had gone with her.  For her, taking those shots, paying the price of admission, had been worth it. I promised myself that someday I would make that trip and experience the wonderful things she had seen and done. If the opportunity ever presents itself again, I'll go and, this time, the shots won't stop me.  I'll pay that price.
The Apostle Paul understood the idea of paying the price of admission.  He was imprisoned, beaten, starved, and shipwrecked.  He depended upon the generosity of others and his own industry for the daily necessities of life.  Sometime he had plenty and sometimes he had very little. But Paul knew the true value of living for Christ.  He understood that the greatest fulfillment in life is living for Jesus Christ and working to further his kingdom. 
That is why in Romans 8:18 Paul writes, "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."  He knew that present trials and difficulties were no comparison for the things God has prepared for us. Paul never focused on his present circumstances but always looked to the future gain reserved for God's children.
Today, let me encourage you to keep looking forward to what God has in store for us.  Every trial, every disappointment, every unkind word spoken to us, and every impossible situation we face will be worth it.  Every setback, every tear, every frustration, and every heartache will be worth it.
For Noah, the 100 years of building the ark were worth it. For Abraham, leaving home was worth it. For Moses, the wanderings in the desert were worth it.  For Joseph, the years in Pharaoh's prison and the false accusations were worth it.  For Daniel, the lion's den was worth it.  And for us, my dear brothers and sisters, when we hear God say to us "well done," it will be worth it It will all be worth the price of admission!  We have His word on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.