Friday, August 4, 2017

You Sound Just Like Your Dad


 “Hello.  No, this is Blake.  May I help you?” 
            “Blake, you sound just like your dad on the phone….”

This conversation takes place on numerous occasions when I am visiting my parents in North Carolina, usually for one of the holidays.  So many people call our house looking for my dad that naturally they just expect him to answer the phone.  What a surprise they get when they realize that it’s someone else on the other end of the line.

Sometimes, I have been engaged in a whole conversation before I could stop the other person to convince them I wasn't my dad.  To the person, everyone says we sound alike on the phone.  Personally, I don’t get it.  My dad and I sound nothing alike.  Our voices are different, our mannerisms are different, and our personalities, while similar, are not exactly alike.

However, there are some indisputable facts about the relationship I have with my dad.  I belong to him even though I am now 49 years old.  I am his biologically and genetically.  His genes are a part of my make-up and he gave me life 49 years ago.  I am his emotionally and relationally.  We share a bond and a closeness that no one else shares.  There is no other tie in the world, nor has there ever been, like the one I have with my dad.  I am his volitionally.  He chose to have me; he was certainly under no obligation to have any children. I am his forever, as long as I live.  No matter where I go, no matter what I do, no matter how far away we are from each other, I am his son and he is my dad.  Frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

So, when people mistake me for my dad on the phone, it is a real compliment to me.  Although I am different from him, people always think that he and I are the same person when they hear our voices.  That is amazing isn't it?  That means I have a great responsibility to speak very carefully because I represent my father to so many people.  The words I speak, the tone of my voice, the quality of my speech, all reflect on him.  As far as those on the phone are concerned, they are speaking to him directly and they take the words from my mouth as though they were coming from his.

It is not a far stretch to apply this to the Christian life.  While it is obvious that we are not God; we are His representatives.  Jesus reminded his followers of this fact in Matthew 10:24-25“A student is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. It is enough for the student to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master.”  Instead of the student being the teacher—which is impossible by the way—he is to be like the teacher.  The teachings of the master should be evident in the student and those who learn from the student should in fact be learning from the master.  The student’s words, actions, thoughts, and example should mirror those of the master exactly. 

This can only happen in the Christian life when we remove “self” from the equation.  We must share God’s word with those around us.  By God’s word, I mean just that.  We are not to water it down, sugar coat it, or alter it in anyway just to please or appease those around us.  The words we speak should reflect the very truths of the Scriptures.  Those who hear us should be hearing what God has to say instead of the message we want to get across.  We can in no way improve upon God’s word; we must simply share it with all those we meet.

In a few months, I will be home again for a visit.  No sooner will I be home than the phone will ring.  I’ll answer it and someone will accuse me of being my father and we will start the conversation all over again. It will be a good feeling.  As a Christian, are people confusing you with your father today?  Does the sound of your voice convey his love, his grace, his mercy, and his truth to all those who hear you?  Do you sound like your father today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.