Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Read Only

H
ave you ever stopped to consider what wonderful things computers are? Now, I know, there are times when they are anything but wonderful, especially if you're in a hurry or really need something.  Who hasn't had the experience of downloading a file from the Internet only to have the computer break the connection at the last minute?  Or, knowing a particular file exists on the computer, receiving the message the file can't be found.  Moreover, right in the middle of entering some important information, you get a message that a "fatal flaw" has occurred.  My favorite is when I perform an illegal operation.  I just sit in my room and wait for the cyberpolice to come arrest me for doing something illegally on my computer.  However, the worst experience I have encountered is losing a whole file because I failed to hit the "save" button on a regular basis.  Sound familiar?

Earlier this week I had an interesting experience while trying to save a file.  I had opened a document saved with my word processor.  When I went to save the document, I received a message indicating the file was in read-only format.  Perplexed, I continued to hit the save button, only to receive the same message again.  It now became personal, between me and the computer.  There was simply no way I was going to admit defeat until the computer accepted the changes I had entered.  Do you know what happened in the end?  You guessed it, the computer won.  Read-only format, means just that, READ ONLY.  No additions, alterations, or subtractions can be made to the existing text.  It stands just as it is.  It reads the same every time it is opened, no matter if it is place on another computer.  The file always remains the same.

Would it surprise you to learn that the Bible is a read-only document?  Each time it is opened, it reads the same way, using the same words, in the same order, revealing the same truths.  No matter how much we want to add to it or subtract from it or alter it, we simply can make no changes to it.  The same promises given to Moses, Abraham, David, Solomon, Daniel, Elijah, Isaiah, Matthew, Luke, Mark, Paul, Peter, etc. are exactly the same promises given to us.  Likewise, the same admonitions, warnings, and rebukes given to them are also directed to us as well.

While various debates continue concerning the accuracy and the exact meaning of the scriptures, two passages of scripture give clear and concrete insight into God's design for his word.   The prophet Isaiah records the following statement concerning God's word in Isaiah 55:11, "So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."  Likewise, God's word is everlasting.  The words of Jesus in Luke 23:13 speak to this point, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away."


The message is clear.  God's word is everlasting and immutable. It is read-only, and it will always achieve his purpose and fulfill his promises to his people.  In a world where things are constantly changing, it is comforting and reassuring to know that God, wishing to reveal himself to all people through all time, made his word a read-only documentNow, if people would ONLY READ it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.