Monday, November 28, 2016

Live and In Concert

I
n November of 2001, I realized one of my lifelong goals.  For years, I had wanted to hear the Vienna Boys’ Choir in concert, however, short of hopping a plane to Vienna, I seriously doubted I'd ever have the chance.  Nevertheless, the choir came to Fort Worth for one performance and I was fortunate enough to get tickets.

The concert was wonderful and met all my expectations.  I was amazed at the musical abilities of these boys who ranged in age from 10 to 14 years.  They sang all types of music from contemporary pieces to a Gregorian chant from the 14th century.  Their lyrics also represented at least 5 different languages, all sung without hesitation or difficulty.

One of their final numbers represented songs from four different countries.  In the space of 15 minutes, we heard music from China, Argentina, Austria, and South Africa.  Each of these pieces had a distinct sound, rhythm, and style that separated it from all the other pieces performed that evening.  Yet, all this music was composed from only eighty-eight notes.  The composer, whether he was Chinese, Austrian, American, or French produced his work using different notes.  However, when these pieces were played on a piano or sung by a choir, they always sounded the same.  A French composition played by a Chinese pianist will sound the same even if the piano player speaks no French.  The music, the notes written on the page, carries the same tune no matter the player or the instrument used.

As I sat there and listened to these wonderful pieces from around the world, the thought struck me that God's word is just like the music I was listening to.  The Bible has been translated into most of the world's languages.  Occasionally, as a seminary student, I would stroll through the section of Bibles in Southwestern Seminary’s library, pick one off the shelf, and just look at the words that were there.  Sometimes I would look at a copy in Spanish, sometimes in German, and sometimes it would be in French.  In addition, students from Korea, some from China, and some from many African countries studied at the seminary.  Their copies of the Bible, written in different languages using different letters or characters from different writing systems, all communicated one message!

God's word does not change!!!  The message is always the same no matter what language it takes.  When someone in Kenya reads the scriptures, the message they receive is the same as the person reading the Scriptures in Brazil or in South Korea.  Although the linguistic keyboards change, the music never does.  God's word, His thoughts, and His love are communicated to us without error or diminished meaning. 

Isaiah 55:11 reveals why this is true.  The prophet writes, "So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please,  And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."  I like the beginning of the second sentence where God says His word will not come back to Him empty.  It will and does accomplish His purpose, whether in English, Thai, or Swahili.  Don't you find that amazing?  Don't you find that simply wonderful?  Don’t you find that to be just like God?

As I listened intently to the music, its message spoke to me.  I was uplifted and inspired by pieces of music written several hundred years before my birth.  If a piece of music, written by someone hundreds of years ago still inspires us, how much more inspiration is there to be found in the word of the living God?  We are His instruments, used for His purpose, sharing His love to the world around us.


What does the music of your life sound like today?  Is it inspiring someone?  Are the strains of God's love and mercy flowing from your life so that those around you can hear them?  Music was written to be played and shared and so was God's word.  So, pick up your instrument and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.