Tuesday, December 8, 2015

A Monkey On Stage

E
very community in our area boasted a community “Little Theater” which produced plays throughout the year.  The town’s people enjoyed the performances and many of them became regulars in the many productions put on by our local chapter.  I remember going to the theater to see plays and to watch the transformation of people I had known all my life into people I had never met and never would. 

Some of the plays were historical in nature, some of them were comical, some of them were tragic, and some of them were down right fun.  This latter category was especially true when the theater produced its children’s program.  Kids from all over the area came to tryouts and on one occasion I threw my hat into the ring and landed a part.  Mind you, it was a small, insignificant part, but it was a part nonetheless.

That particular year the Little Theater of Cherryville presented “The Wizard of Oz” as its production.  I had seen the movie at least a thousand times and knew all the lines by heart.  Even to this day I can quote lines from that movie and replay whole scenes in my mind.  Nevertheless, the part assigned to me wasn’t the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, or the Cowardly Lion.  It wasn’t one of Dorothy’s friends or a member of her family.  Instead, I made my starring debut as a monkey!  That’s right; I was dressed as one of the monkeys from the wicked witch’s castle! 

Practices had gone well but as the performance date approached, I began to get butterflies in my stomach.  I wasn’t afraid of forgetting my lines; I didn’t have any. Instead, I was worried about doing something foolish and becoming the laughing stock of the entire performance.  Ah, the worries of childhood!

In any event, my dad reminded me I had made a commitment and encouraged me to honor it.  The night of the performance, the auditorium was packed out.  Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and passersby filled the place.  Finally, the curtain rose and the play began.  There was no turning back now.  About halfway through the play, we received our cue to come on stage.  We were all nervous, but reassured each other we wouldn’t mess things up.  Our part was simple.  We were to enter from the side of the stage, run around in a big circle, and exit through a door in the backdrop.  Who could mess this up? 

You had to ask, didn’t you?  I made the circle just fine, I ran perfectly and should have received an Academy Award for my performance.  I probably would have too had my left wing not become stuck in the door.  I went through the exit but the door slammed shut on my wing, pinning me down, with most of me back stage but my left arm still visible from the audience.  Since I had to open the door to remove the wing I knew I would have to do something.  So, I opened the door, pulled my wing out, and waved to the audience.  I received a round of applause for that little piece of ingenuity!

I can’t tell you how scared I was, though.  My worst fear, the fear of messing up, came true.  Yet, when I opened the door to remove my wing, I saw someone standing in the back of the room and the sight of him was enough to remove my fear and doubts.  My dad was standing at the very back of the theater, watching the play.  He had been at work earlier but promised me he would make the performance and make it he did.  When I saw him, he smiled at me and tossed me a small wave. That was all I needed.  In that moment, the crowd disappeared, the fear was gone, and I was no longer doubtful.  My dad was there and he was all the confidence and support I needed.

In Psalm 27:1, King David shares these words of encouragement with us, “The LORD is my light and my salvation- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life- of whom shall I be afraid?” If one thing is true in the life of David, it is that he had every opportunity to be afraid.  His best friend’s dad tried to kill him.  He was pursued and chased and forced to hide in desert caves and strongholds even though he had been chosen to succeed Saul as king.  Later in his life his own son turned against him and tried to take his throne.  Yet in all this, David never once lost confidence nor became so afraid that he didn’t know which way to turn.

As is evidenced in this psalm, David knew that the Lord was with him.  He knew that when everyone ran out and abandoned him, God would still be there.  David experienced the blessing of knowing God was watching over him, providing for him and supporting him when it seemed everyone else was against him.  It is as if David’s wing became stuck in the door and in this awkward moment, God gave him a smile and a wave of approval.  With such a loving father and friend, David could well state that he had no reason to fear.

A

nd what about us today?  Are we suffering from stage fright?  Are we intimidated and hesitant to walk onto the world’s stage?  Do we fear the thoughts and the words of others?  Do we rehearse and rehearse our lines so that we will be perfect, making no mistakes, fearing rejection if we do?  If this sounds familiar, I invite you to look at the back of the room, to see the only face that matters, that of your Heavenly Father.  He is watching over you and will never leave you to face the world alone.  In the play of life, God determines the importance of our roles and He always supports and protects His own, even when the part they have been assigned feels like a monkey on stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.