Thursday, October 8, 2015

Take Your Vitamins!

W
hen I was a little boy, my mom used to give me vitamins.  She bought vitamins made for kids that were shaped like animals or famous cartoon characters.  They came in a variety of colors and flavors and one of the hardest decisions I had to make was which shape and which flavor I wanted.  My brother also got in on the act and we made sure we had taken our vitamins before leaving the house.

As soon as I had taken my daily tablet, I felt stronger, had more energy, and could perform better in school.  To me the vitamin was the promise of instant strength and invincibility; but the vitamin didn’t work like that.  Instead, it slowly released its elements to support, strengthen, and protect my body.  Throughout the day and night, without my being aware of it, the vitamins continually worked, helping me stay healthy and grow up strong.

Spiritually speaking, we need vitamins in our daily walk with God.  The Christian life is full of twists and turns and without daily nourishment from God’s word, we grow tired and our spiritual walk with God is never what it should be.  God’s word is filled with the necessary elements we need in order to mature and grow spiritually strong. 

One of my favorite places to find daily spiritual vitamins is in the book of Psalms.  In moments of great stress, great trial, and great despair, many people have found the Psalms to be a constant source of strength and encouragement.  They provide the added strength we need when the road ahead is difficult and filled with the obstacles that life places in our path.

P
salm 121 is a great source of encouragement and strength.  It reminds us that our strength does not come from within us but from God.  This psalm also ensures us that God is with us, that He is our protection, that He keeps us, and that He watches over us in ever situation of life.  Today, I would like to offer this psalm as today’s spiritual vitamin.  As we follow world events that change from moment to moment, let us grab hold of the one thing in life that never changes—God!  These words are as much for us today as they were for David several thousand years ago!  Read the entire Psalm online by clicking on the underlined words, Psalm 121, at the top of today’s Tidbit.


Psalm 121


A song of ascents.

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills-
where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD ,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot slip-
he who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD watches over you-
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
6 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.

7 The LORD will keep you from all harm-
he will watch over your life;
8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.