Tuesday, July 14, 2015

On-The-Job Training

W
hen I was sixteen years old, my dad agreed to let me hold a job.  There were certain parameters I had to observe and as long as I remained within them, I could hold the job.  Daddy wanted to make sure I made school work a priority so I could only work on the weekends.  However, in the summer months, he said I could work as much as I wanted.  The trick was finding a place that matched my dad’s requirements for a job.

One of the local hospitals was advertising for a weekend receptionist/data entry clerk in the x-ray department.  I went for an interview and the supervisor offered me the job.  My main responsibilities were locating patient records and updating them whenever an examination was performed.  The job put my typing skills to good use.  In fact, that job greatly improved my typing and enhanced my computer skills as well.  I had acquired both of these in high school but instead of using them for a grade, I was using them to help people get well.  It was very rewarding to know my typing and computer skills were actually being used for a much higher purpose.

Before I was ready to run the front desk on my own, I had to undergo training.  All the training was done on the job because that was the best way to learn.  By working with patient records, I soon learned how to locate any file in the department quickly and efficiently.  The computer soon became a joy to use instead of something to be feared and the filing procedure became second nature to me.  Everything I learned in school helped me in my job but I never dreamed I would use these skills to potentially cure someone or save his life.

Jesus knew the value of on-the-job training for his disciples.  In fact, when he calls Peter and Andrew away from their life’s work, on-the-job training is exactly what he had in mind.  Look at Jesus’ words in Matthew 4:19, “Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."  This one statement speaks volumes to us and it should encourage us in our daily walk with the Lord.

First, this statement tells us that Peter and Andrew were both fishermen by trade.  In fact, the Scriptures teach us just prior to this verse that these two brothers were indeed fishermen.  They know how to catch fish, how to choose the appropriate bait, where to find the best spots to fish, and they knew how to care for and repair their nets.  Yet when Jesus finds them, he begins teaching them where they are.  He uses the abilities they have but he applies them in a completely different way.  Notice that Jesus promises to make Peter and Andrew fishers of men.  The Greek text reads very interestingly here.  It says that Jesus will teach them to become fishers of men.

Although they knew a lot about catching fish, Andrew and Peter knew precious little about catching and winning souls for Jesus.  Nevertheless, Jesus took what they knew, and through careful teaching and hands-on instruction, he taught these two brothers to catch the souls of men.  Everything Peter and Andrew had learned through fishing was of use to them.  Now, however, they were to apply their knowledge of fishing to harvesting souls for the kingdom of God.

This is one of the most encouraging passages of Scripture I know.  No matter what my background, no matter what I have learned, God can use it for the furtherance of his kingdom.  Even when my attempts seem so feeble and so ineffective, God uses them to achieve his purposes.  God gives me on-the-job training every day because every day is different.

S

o, wherever you are today and whatever your assigned task, know that God is working with you and through you, teaching you how to win the souls of those around you.  Not all of us are called to the pulpit, or the mission field, or the Sunday school classroom.  But all of us are called to share our faith with those around us and to live a life that indicates the presence of Christ.  
Remember, God called Andrew and Peter to on-the-job training and he taught them how to accomplish the goal he had in mind for them.  The same is true of you today.  God knows what he wants to do with you and your life.  All he needs is for you to trust him, to be willing to learn how to be an effective witness to all those around you today.  So, what are you waiting for?  Throw out those nets.  The fish are waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments about today's Tidbit with us.